Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Photo Interpretation

Pete1052

Can anyone describe how the interpretation of aerial photographs progressed during the Great War? I imagine that at the beginning of the war there was no doctrine or training for imagery analysis, no staffs to do the work, and the only available tool was more than likely a hand-held magnifying glass. I'm curious about how these photographs were used and interpreted, and how the analyses were distributed to headquarters at the various levels of command. By World War II photo interpretation had become quite a science and today satellite imagery is an industry.

Thanks in advance,

Pete

:D Hello in all,

I can explain how evolved the air photo for the French military aeronautics.

I studied the squadron 62 which was specialized in photo recognitions for the VI-th French Army of 1915-1918.

This squadron, created on August 11, 1915, received Maurice Farman MF 11 (engine Renault of 8 cylinders in V and developing 80 ch)

As one goes along, the squadron is going to be endowed with much more specialized planes.

In the order: Nieuport 10, Nieuport 12, Nieuport 14, Sopwith 1A2, Spad XI, Spad VII. These planes are charged only with the photo recognition and at sight. An observer, if weather report does not allow to take pictures, must be capable of executing at sight sketches on maps with the position of german lines. Reconnaissance planes being photo very vulnerable, they are always accompanied with at least 3 fighter planes. For the 62, one is going so to find : Nieuport 11, Nieuport 16, Nieuport 17, Nieuport 24 bis, Spad VII.

In a squadron as the 62, one counts then 3 types of cameras:

- Cameras with small foyer (0,50 m of focal) which one can use vertically and obliquely.

- cameras with big foyer (1,20 m of focal) in sector stabilized before.

- cameras with hand (0,26 m) for the vertical and oblique shots.

To see the following address: http://albindenis.free.fr/dossiers/page3.1.html

All these devices are in fixed settling. Infinity begins in 30 m for one 0,26 m of focal and 500 metres for one 1,20 m of focal.

The dotation of the unity for 10 or 15 aircraft will be of 4 cameras of 0,26 m of focal, 2 cameras of the 0,50 m and 1 camera of the 1,20 m.

When brought in the airfileld, the cell photo develop a small number of pictures so that the command is informed as quickly as possible.

Indeed, a well-kept development of 50 pictures on plate in 10 copies sets a minimum of 5 hours, very often too long for urgent missions (6. 20 hrs for 100 clichés on film).

, editions are available in 2. 45 hrs but the conservation of images could not exceed 3 weeks without change.

And to finish, in the case of essential missions, the time of treatment can come down in 24 mn for 20 plates which will have an expectation of life of some weeks.

It is the officer in charge of the service photo which selects photos to be sent.

The section photo, for years 1916-1917-1918, includes:

-A laboratory for film.

-A laboratory for plates photo and paper.

-A laboratory for the load of cameras.

-A room of wash.

-A room of drying.

-A projection room.

-A room of drawing.

-A office for the officer, leader of section.

-A office of expedition and archives.

-A wharehouse.

The whole being able to be sheltered in a batiment of 20 x 10 metres.

If the section photo must be moved closer to the front, the group is reduced to the main thing with a laboratory of 5 x 4 metres, a wharehouse, a room of drying and a room of drawing.

Unity have of more a car laboratory which can treat only films.

To see following link : http://albindenis.free.fr/dossiers/page3.1.html

I hope that I was clear, do not hesitate to ask the other questions. :P

Goodbye

Albin DENIS

Merci beaucoup, Albin, for your answer. Today I did a Google search to find an answer to this question, and I read that fighter aircraft were first invented to protect photo reconaissance planes. I imagine some modern-day fighter jocks would resent being told that! I'm 1/4th French-Canadian from Quebec mais je parle mais un peu de la Francais.

For anyone interested in the product of photo-recce, the Fleet Air Arm Museum has a wonderful collection (The Sir Frederick Russell Collection) of photographs and photo-mosaics taken by aircraft of the RNAS during WW1. The area covered is the coast of Belgium (gun batteries, etc) and the hinterland thereof, with particular emphasis on Ostende, Zeebrugge and Bruges, the canal system and German airfields. The collection is complemented by some 250 SECRET intelligence reports compiled from these photographs.

Hello Pete,

I used to be a Photographic Interpreter in RAF (first Gulf War era) and to be honest the techniques developed during the Great War have changed very little than those taught today with regards to aerial photographs. It basically follows 5 basic pricinples: Shape, Size, Shadow, Shade & Surroundings. One of the most important features when looking at trench photos is Shadow. Much more information can be gathered from a photo when the sun is shining in oblique, rather than overhead, as you can often gain more info from the shadows being cast than trying to look at that object itself.

Interestingly, stereoscopes were used more and more during the Great War. They had been around since the American Civil War and were a common Victorian parlour toy, but the military soon saw them as a useful tool. Put simply, by taking photos with a slight overlap, and placing them with an together whilst viewed through the lens (the stereoscope) the eye puts together a pseudo-3D image which as you can imagine is great for looking at trench systems, gun emplacements etc.

I have a soem examples in my collection and it never ceases to amaze me the clarity of some of these hand held images.

Steve

Hello Pete,

I used to be a Photographic Interpreter in RAF (first Gulf War era) and to be honest the techniques developed during the Great War have changed very little than those taught today with regards to aerial photographs. It basically follows 5 basic pricinples: Shape, Size, Shadow, Shade & Surroundings. One of the most important features when looking at trench photos is Shadow. Much more information can be gathered from a photo when the sun is shining in oblique, rather than overhead, as you can often gain more info from the shadows being cast than trying to look at that object itself.

Interestingly, stereoscopes were used more and more during the Great War. They had been around since the American Civil War and were a common Victorian parlour toy, but the military soon saw them as a useful tool. Put simply, by taking photos with a slight overlap, and placing them with an together whilst viewed through the lens (the stereoscope) the eye puts together a pseudo-3D image which as you can imagine is great for looking at trench systems, gun emplacements etc.

I have a soem examples in my collection and it never ceases to amaze me the clarity of some of these hand held images.

Steve

Horatio,

Well know you the collection " Sir Frederick Russell " of Yeovilton's Fleet Air Arm Museum

Indeed, the squadron which I study, the SPA 62 fought on the Belgian front at the end of 1918.

I had not too many difficulties to find photos for 1915's in 1918 but I block on the campaign of Belgium of the SPA 62 from September at November, 1918.

At the moment, I found only French photos and anything for Belgium occupied by the Germans.

Can be that the photos of the Museum could interest me.

This squadron was based in Belgium to Beveren - Diest - Eringhem - Roulers.

It belonged to the 6-th Army of the Grouping of Flanders commanded by the King of the Belgians.

it made missions on the following sectors: Lake Blanckaert - Dixmude - Kortemark - Thourout - Roulers - Ypres - Courtrai - Lichtervelde - east from Brugge - rivers Escaut and Lys - Eringhem - Beveren - Grammont - Nineve - Diest.

Needs necessarily it to go to the museum to obtain photos of this collection ?

Know you somebody who knows the contents of this collection ?

I hope that you will be able to repondre in my waits.

Very friendly

Albin DENIS

Bonjour Albin,

Je connais bien la collection Russell. Il y a des centaines de photos entre Novembre de 1916 et Novembre de 1918. De plus on trouve presque 250 etudes fondees sur ces photos. Les cibles que j'aie mentionne ci-dessus - ils sont d'interet surtout a la Marine Royale: les ports, les canaux, les canons sur la cote, etc., mais il y a aussi des sujets un peu plus a l'interieure de la Belgique.

Malheureusement, il est necessaire qu'on fait une visite a la Musee FAA pour examiner la collection, mais, si vous m'indiquez les villes, aeroports, etc de votre interet, je peux interroger la base de donnes (database).

Mes salutations sinceres.

H2

Hello in all,

To illustrate my comments of the previous message, I propose you three photos taken with the various cameras :

- camera of 0,26 m of focal - the beginning of artillery preparation in the Somme in September, 1916.

On this oblique photo, one can see the first German and French lines.

photo4.jpg

- Camera of 0,50 m of focal - East of Bouchavesnes ( Somme) - on September 23, 1916 - altitude 2000 metres. Details of old batteries of artillery.

photo3.jpg

- Camera of 0,50 m of focal - Morval's village (Somme / South of Bapaume) - on September 7, 1916 - altitude 3200 metres. Destructions of the village and trenches

photo1.jpg

If readers possess photos of the front of the Somme for years 1916-1917 or St Gobain forest for march / june 1918, you can get in touch with me

Very friendly

Albin DENIS

I know in World War Two Britain brilliantly duped the Germans by using decoy tanks to distact them from knowing where the invasion would take place from on DDay. I think I read the Iraqi's bolted plywood on the sides of T72 tanks to give the impression of heavier armor during the Gulf War. Is there any evidence of decoys being used in the First World War to trick aerial photography?

Fitzee

I thank everyone for their responses in this topic. Does anyone know who were the main recipients of intelligence gained from aerial photography? Was it mainly division and higher level headquarters, or was the intelligence product also shared with the brigade and battalion headquarters deployed in the line? As a former artilleryman I think the photos would be a great source for updating target lists and preparing fire plans. I know the dissemination of intel would have varied in the armies of the various nations.

Hello in all,

For Spa 62, which was a squadron of recognition at long distance, ten photos were realized for every plate. Who says 10 copies, says 10 addressees.

The first addressee was the command of the 6-th Army, on whom she depended directly.

The squadron leader made his report every day for the staff.

Generally the squadron was on the same ground as the aeronautics of this army.

The delays of decision were reduced at most.

For very important missions, as the photo recognition of the line Hindenburg, the artillery (Wilhelmgeschutze or Pariser Kanonen) which fired at Paris from the forest of St Gobain, the sector of the "Chemin des Dames" or the missions very at the back of the German lines (for example Valenciennes), the GQG received a series compléte from edition of the mission.

Two series were preserved in the unity. One for archives and one for cartographic service, to update skeleton map of fire.

Regrettably, all these images were in big part destroyed during WW2.

Very friendly

Albin DENIS

Hello Horatio,

Can you look at four airfields used with the squadron 62 : Beveren - Diest - Eringhem - Roulers.

And for the following sectors : defences of Lake Blanckaert - Kortemark - Thourout - Courtrai - Lichtervelde - east of Brugge - defences of rivers l'Escaut and la Lys - Grammont - Nineve.

I am interested in military objectives : trenches, troops on the ground, armoured, airfields and not by the destructions of cities or villages.

Thank you for your help.

Very friendly

Albin DENIS

Hello Horatio,

Can you look at four airfields used with the squadron 62 : Beveren - Diest - Eringhem - Roulers.

And for the following sectors : defences of Lake Blanckaert - Kortemark - Thourout - Courtrai - Lichtervelde - east of Brugge - defences of rivers l'Escaut and la Lys - Grammont - Nineve.

I am interested in military objectives : trenches, troops on the ground, armoured, airfields and not by the destructions of cities or villages.

Thank you for your help.

Very friendly

Albin DENIS

Albin

Il y a des etudes et des photos pour Lichtervelde (aeroport) (Aout et Octobre de 1918) et pour Thourout (Mai de 1917 and Juin de 1918). Rien de plus.

H2

:D Thank you, Horatio for your very fast answer.

I am going to inquire with the museum for know the contents of photos.

Very friendly

Albin DENIS

Is there any evidence of decoys being used in the First World War to trick aerial photography?

Fitzee

A few weeks ago I saw a little documentary on French television on camouflage -- which the French essentially invented in WW1, having discovered that blue tunics and red trousers were not very concealing, when they pulled artists out of the front line and put them to work making everything imaginable harder to spot from the ground or the air. There were shots in the film of dummy vehicles, including French and British tanks, as well as vehicles and buildings made to look like something else, not to mention cunning snipers' posts consisting of pits in no man's land or just behind the lines with fake bodies of men or horses on top to conceal them.

cheers Martin B

I know in World War Two Britain brilliantly duped the Germans by using decoy tanks to distact them from knowing where the invasion would take place from on DDay. I think I read the Iraqi's bolted plywood on the sides of T72 tanks to give the impression of heavier armor during the Gulf War. Is there any evidence of decoys being used in the First World War to trick aerial photography?

Fitzee

On a small/local scale - prior to the recapture of Meteren, July 1918, the 9th Scotish Div had to form up with its assaulting troops in a front line overlooked by the German positions and their air reconnaisance.

The forward trenches (with assembling troops) were covered with matting painted with a wide black streak to represent empty trenches in early mornng shadow.

Albin/H2 - I would always be interested in ariel photographs of Ypres/Frezenberg/Dadizeele/Ledeghem/Courtai/Harlbeke/Ootighem/Ingoyghem Oct and Nov 1918.

Ian

Not sure if this is of any interest, but it does show the method of photo mosiac(ing).

post-3882-1164214825.jpg

Hello in all,

To continue in the photo recognition

I present you some photos of German origin :

Photos assembled in mosaic of Craonne's region - 6 juin1917 - focal 0,50 cms - altitude 3800 m.

See : http://www.flieger-album.de/

bande.jpg

Photo of a battery of artillery - March 26, 1918 - focal 0,25 m - altitude 500 m.

art.jpg

Extract of Ebay's sale

Map where are represented photos taken during a mission on Soissons

carte.jpg

See : http://www.flieger-album.de/

Very friendly

Albin DENIS

One would assume that WWI aerial photographs revealed the whole history of these landscapes, not just their military sites.

Has anyone been able to identify any archaeological sites on the Western Front using WWI aerial photographs?

Hello in all,

To compare, some modern photos

1) A photo of a bridge in Central African Republic in 1986

africa.jpg

2) A photo of a passenger ship in construction to Saint Nazaire.

paquebot.jpg

Very friendly

Albin DENIS

To continue in this subject of the photo during world war 1, two city photos in German territory in France:

Audun-le-Roman and Avricourt.

Audun.jpg

Audun-le-Roman in march 1919

avricourt.jpg

Avricourt in march 1919

Friendly

Albin DENIS