Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

12th Batt Hampshire Regt

wulsten

Does any member have any war diary entries or battalion history for period around 25/4/17 or october 1916.

Researching a Pte A J Hinley 13044 kia 25/04/17 age 21, newspaper reported, killed April 25th, he was wounded in October last whilst rescuing his corporal under fire.

Birmingham

wo95/4877

Think i might have a history of this battalion i will check

regards John

• 3 months later...

Have these notes I made a couple of years ago when researching the 12th Hampshires in Salonika.

12 Btn Hampshire Regt

23 4 17 Training

Striking tents and cleaning camp. At night bn moved to Hampshire Ridge & Deep Cut ravine Camps. Cold.

Deep Cut Ravine 24 4 17

Battalion moved from camps at 1600 hrs and marched through CT to forming up positions at Minden and Silbury Support Camp. At 2015 battalion moved by companys to position of assembly inYRavine Jumeaux Ravine, B10 & Sunken Road. At 2115 enemy barraged all along Jumeaux Ravine causing congestion and preventing companies from reaching positions of assembly before our barrage lifted at 2145. Capt Prior and 30 of A coy reported at hqrs at about 2230 as they were unable to reach their positin of assembly. C Coy were then deployed in the open in front of our wire and attacked 03 & in some places gained a footing in O3 only to be driven out again by enemy barrage and enfilade fire from O2 & O4. In the operation the CO was wounded and Capt Prior assumed command. At about 2400 hrs OC DCLI took over command. Total Casualties Officers 15 OR 249

Piton Rocheux

25 4 17

Returned to Deep Cut Ravine at 0500 Hrs. Collected and packed stores and equipment and moved at night to Piton Rocheux. Fine.

Hope this is of use.

Regards

Clare

• 2 weeks later...
  • 5 years later...

Hello,

Sorry it's a fair few years after the post, but worth a try - I'm tracking down some family history on my paternal grandfather. Private Walter Herbert Woods 25771, I believe with the 12th Hampshire's from 21/02/16 until discharged 04/10/18 – sick. Some old family stories refer to malaria contracted during the War.

Any assistance would be greatly appreciated.

Rob

• 1 month later...

Rob. might be worth a post in soldiers or unit histories etc dependant on what info your after, good luck, Geoff