Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

seeking information

Guest P-MAC

Hi:

I have an old bayonet with sheath and don't know anything about it. The blade is 17 inches long, the handle 4.5 inches, metal and dark wood. On the blade there is small crest which has the year 1907 inside it, under the crest the word LITHGOW and then 1918. On the reverse side, where the blade and handle connect (looks like there is sight ring on this part) it has 3MD then 58744. This side of the blade is marked with a symbol like a star around an A, a big X and then another symbol around an A. Where the blade attached to the rifle under the spring loaded connection there are more markings A over 11732. The sheath is metal on both ends, dark leather. The only marking I can find are the letters OA.

Anything you can tell me about it would be appreciated.

Thanks

Peggy

Peggy

What you have is a 1907 pattern bayonet made by Lithgow (Australia) in 1918 for

the Lee Enfield SMLE rifle. The large 'X' may well be the sold out of service symbol

which is two arrows facing one another. I'm afraid I can't tell you what the other

markings are without a bit of research, but they will be unit and serial no's.

Will have a look this evening when I get home from work.

Geoff

On a British-made bayonet, the "X" stamp meant that the bayonet had passed the bend test, in which the blade was bent against a frame of a certain radius. The blade had to spring back straight to pass this test.

The "A-in-a-star" stamp was the mark of the Lithgow Small Arms Factory, N.S.W., Australia and as Geoff has said, this bayonet was made by them.

Tom

3MD was 3rd Military district, that is, Victoria.