Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

9th (Service) Battalion Royal Warwickshire Regiment

brindlerp

Thanks ever so much.  That's really helpful.  Would you mind if I asked where the information about his brother was from, was it the same article? R G Bean was my grandfather.

• 6 months later...
On 02/11/2013 at 21:21, Guest nosherw said:

Does anyone have any information on what happened on 29th May 1916.

My great grandfather Arthur Hugh Shilton died in Mesopotamia and is buried in Amara Cemetery.

We do not know much as my nan was 10 when he died leaving her an orphan.

I know he was a farmer before he enlisted and came from Baxterley area.

any information would be great

thanks

shilton.JPG

• 4 weeks later...

Good Morning all 

Very interesting thread here, I have been reading it all, trying to find out more about the regiment in Gallipoli as my Great Grandad was there 'Harry Tredwell' with the 9th, he was shoot in the arm on 08/12/15, see the photo his arm is now off in it, not sure when it was amputate as his paper work states he went onto the Suez Canal 22/04/16, so it may have been amputated after the Suez.

He was discharge 22/08/16 not fit for service. 

King regards allScreenshot_20211029_155722_com.whatsapp.jpg.6d5baac0b2511f78cd5177c48fb88806.jpg

• Admin

Welcome to the forum. To me it looks like the has both arms n that photo, just got one behind  his back. The sleeve would look flatter if the arm had been amputated.

Thank you, and yeah it could be a myth withen the family were really not sure what happened, it could possibly be deformed from the gunshoot wound in the photo as to why it's behind his back.... We're really not sure. See below his record's... 

MIUK1914A_120092-00226.jpg.1b4479ee326407779473635736b6a3b3.jpg

2 hours ago, JamieMa said:

Good Morning all 

Very interesting thread here, I have been reading it all, trying to find out more about the regiment in Gallipoli as my Great Grandad was there 'Harry Tredwell' with the 9th, he was shoot in the arm on 08/12/15, see the photo his arm is now off in it, not sure when it was amputate as his paper work states he went onto the Suez Canal 22/04/16, so it may have been amputated after the Suez.

He was discharge 22/08/16 not fit for service. 

King regards allScreenshot_20211029_155722_com.whatsapp.jpg.6d5baac0b2511f78cd5177c48fb88806.jpg

1915 medal roll gives date of entry as 25 7 15, the battalion was at cape helles at this time in the trenches at geoghans bluff.

also the photo was taken while he was serving in the labour corps as hes wearing a royal engineers cap badge. at this time he was still fit enough to serve. if he did loss his arm it was later on.

tredwell 15 roll.png

Ah wow never seen that medal roll thank you very much for sharing, that explains why he went to the Suez Canal with the Royal engineers, 

I think he still had his arm it was just injured but who knows. 

How did you get that roll call as I'm also trying to find a roll call for my Great Grandad of WW2 in Worcestershire regement. 

Thanks again for all the information kev

• 3 weeks later...
  • 1 year later...

what a great resource this post has been for me thank you all.

• 4 weeks later...

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/13th_(Western)_Division

The Wikipedia page is incorrect.

The entry states: "The 7th Gloucesters and the 8th Royal Welch Fusiliers were sent to support the Wellington battalion of the New Zealand Infantry Brigade when it made the decisive assault on Chunuk Bair on the morning of 8 August"

Should read "8th Welsh Regiment" bot 8th RWF.