Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

REGIMENTS FRANCE 1915

Guest LE..SANG....ARMAND

Guest LE..SANG....ARMAND

Hello Again.

Please, could you tel me which British regiment was at ROCLINCOURT. (ECURIE) (62), in 1915 (march?) , with, or, I think just after the French 48*R.I. ?

Maps of, and, photos of this soldiers in thoses places ??.

thank you , Armand.

The British did not take over this sector until 1916; I believe one of the first units in the line was 14th (Light) Division.

In 1915 we did have a few units on the Somme, but the main British line stopped just south of Loos. Arras was then a French sector.

There are several good books in French about the Arras area by Alain Jacques and others - which are for sale in the Arras tourist office.

Guest LE..SANG....ARMAND

HELLO, PAUL REED.

That was fast, thanks.

where can I fend more about this division, maps and photos of them where they stayed.

Look like you have been in ARRAS your self ?

Thanks again, Armand-"PAUL".

There is no published history of this division; the Order of Battle you'll find on Chris' website. Some of the KRRC and Rifle Brigade units published histories.

The Green Jackets museum in Winchester might be able to help with this.

Yes, I have been to Arras once or twice; my book on Arras should finally come out in 2003.

Hi Armand

The 5th K.S.L.I. were part of the 14th Division, I have the Regimental History but it gives little info. to help you, only that the Division were in the Arras area from March 1916 to late July 1916. The 5th K.S.L.I. held the Ronville sector. Sorry I could not be of more help.

Annette

Just a small thing. The Canadian National Archives web site has a reproduction of a sketch map of the Canadian Defences at Ecurie. You can find it at: http://www.archives.ca/05/0518/05180105/05...18010504_f.html

The Canadians did not take over the area until late in 1916, whereas the map seems to be dated about mid 1916 (August I think). The British presumably based the maps on ones they inherited frrom the French. Notice that "shelters" are coded "Ab".

Of course, I could be wrong!

Guest LE..SANG....ARMAND

Bonjour JHILL?,

and thank you, I wonder how many soldiers passed at Ecurie,

with my G-P (grand-father). Frenchs, Britishs, Canadiens,

any more? all the World?, it was such a litle Place.

This map is the best I got so far.

hier qui da, Armand.

A more-or-less serviceable biography "Byng of Vimy" by Jeffrey Williams seems to state that this sector was taken over from the French 12th Corps during the first week of March, 1916 by the new British 17th Corps (XVII as they wrote in those days!). This latter comprised the 25th, 46th (North Midland), and 51st (Highland) Divisions.

When the Vimy operation went down in April 1917, Ecurie was right on the boundary of the Canadian and 17th Corps sectors. In fact this was the boundary of the 1st and 3rd Armies. From Ecurie north was the 1st Canadian Division whle from Ecurie south was the 51st (Highland) Division.

As you are no doubt aware, there were two large, unpleasant, and largely disappointing French operations in this area in 1915, and I presume Ecurie was fought over, but by 1916 it seems to have been well within the allied lines. As near as I can make out, until 1917 the allied front was about 1000 yards north west of the town. That sketch map of the defences that we noted presumably shows defences of a strong point in the secondary defence line. (Some expert might correct me here!).

The advance of April 1917 put the town some miles behind the lines, where I believe it stayed for the rest of the war.