Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Royal Garrison Artillery Regiments

Guest seekeroftruth

Guest seekeroftruth

Hi

This is my very first posting so I hope that Im following the correct protocol. Im trying to reserach my Grandfathers WW1 Army service and understand that the records have been lost. I wonder if there is any other way I may find out where his regiments served, etc. From his medal card I have discovered that he served as a gunner with Royal Garrison Artillery 232 regiment then with the Royal Garrison Artillery 291284 regiment. Ive not been able to find anything on 'Google' search for either of these regiments although that may be a bit too specific.

Does anyone have any information that they could give me regarding these regiments please? Any information gratefully received.

Hi

This is my very first posting so I hope that Im following the correct protocol. Im trying to reserach my Grandfathers WW1 Army service and understand that the records have been lost. I wonder if there is any other way I may find out where his regiments served, etc. From his medal card I have discovered that he served as a gunner with Royal Garrison Artillery 232 regiment then with the Royal Garrison Artillery 291284 regiment. Ive not been able to find anything on 'Google' search for either of these regiments although that may be a bit too specific.

Does anyone have any information that they could give me regarding these regiments please? Any information gratefully received.

Hello ,

If you post your grandfathers MIC on forum I am sure you will get help, I suspect you are reading card wrong.

Regards

Alan

Welcome to the Forum! We are always delighted to have "Seekers of Truth" here.

The Royal Garrison Artillery comprised the biggest guns of the Royal Artillery (fixed coastal guns, Seige guns, Heavy Artillery) and the smallest (Mountain Guns). The numbers you provided look to me to be your grandfather's service numbers - one pre-1917 and the second the 1917 re-issued number. I don't have the list handy, but someone on the forum will probably be able to tell you what Brigade he was in based on that second number. Technically speaking, his 'regiment' was the Royal Regiment of Artillery. Once you have the Brigade with which he served, you can try to locate that Brigade's War Diaries and find out more about his service.

Good Luck! (If someone doesn't come along with his Brigade, use the Search facility (above) to search on "Regimental Numbers".)

Mike Morrison

Hi

Welcome. I think the 291284 may be his service number. If you look on the mother site www.1914-1918.net it gives the various RA units. The Regiment is actually a Corps and that of the Royal Artillery, within it are the Royal Field Artillery, Royal Horse Artillery and Royal Garrison Artillery.Try searching by putting Royal Artillery in. They have their museum at Woolwich I believe www.armymuseums.co.uk will find them.

stevem

Dont think 232 here is his battery at all, but rather another service number from possible pre war service. not certain

the block TF numbering works if he also had a pre war number.

Paul

whoops.... sorry Alan you had already noted that!