Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

German East Africa campaign

dosborne

Hi All

There is currently a thread relating to research being conducted on my grandfather Sgt JH Dunwell. After some admirable research from Stebie9713 on the subject we have discovered that he joined the 3rd SA Horse ( We assume attached to the 5th Mounted Bde) beginning of 1915. He is the man on the left of the image -- Any ideas what the white "arm band" may signify ? -- I doubt this is a bandage

21924_275638_tl.gif[/img]

There is evidence of the 5th Mounted Bde having taken part in the campaign in SWA (Which ended in July 1915). His service records also however indicate that he served in GSW and GEA (German East Africa) and that he contracted malaria at some stage prior to May 1917. A SA Millitary history document only lists the 2 Mounted Bde having taken part in this campaign (East Africa) -- Are there any boffins out there who may be able to comment on the likelihood of the 3rd SA Horse being reassigned to the 2 Mounted Bde for this campaign -- Or better yet, maybe evidence that the 5th Mounted Bde also took part ?

Any advice or ideas would be greatly appreciated

Regards

Dave

My Orders of Battle for the East African campaign are at home, I'll check tonight if nobody confirms in the meantime.

Of the top of my head I believe 3rd South African Horse were initially part of 1st? South African Mounted Brigade (along with 1st and 2nd South African Horse) under command of Maj-Gen. J. L. van Deventer.

As I said I'll try and confirm tonight.

Steve

Steve to confirm later but in general there were two mounted brigades 1st & 2nd composed of various SAH units. The 1st Brigade was Deventers (2nd SA Division) the 3rd was Coen Brits (3rd SA Division).

Roop

Dave

1st South African Mounted Brigade, formed November 1915 and arrived in East Africa December 1915.

Consisted of 1st, 2nd & 3rd South African Horse. under Br. Gen. J. L. van Deventer.

February 1916 the 1st S. A. Mounted Brigade became the mounted troops for the 2nd East African Brigade in the 1st East African Division.

March 1916 the 1st S. A. Mounted Brigade was transferred to the 3rd South African Inf. Brigade in the 2nd East African Division.

December 1916 3rd South African Horse no longer part of 1st S. A. Mounted Brigade, looks as if they were withdrawn from the East African theatre sometime between September 19th and December 15th 1916.

Hope this helps.

Steve

Just to confirm Roop's other detail, the 2nd South African Mounted Brigade was formed in March 1916 and in April 1916 consisted of 5th, 6th 7th and 9th South African Horse. This Mounted Brigade were the mounted troops for the 2nd South African Inf. Brigade in the 3rd East African Division.

Steve