Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

PTE SAL MIDDLETON RMLI, Chatham/22000

horatio2

Two years ago on 30 November 2004 I submitted the name of the above man to CWGC with the evidence from his records that he was discharged dead from Chatham Division RMLI on 29 September 1920, having been landed on the previous day from HMS CALYPSO (on passage).

My understanding from Terry Denham's 'ground rules/guidance' is that such a death in service on that date should qualify automatically for recognition.

After two years of deliberation, I have today heard from CWGC that the MOD decision is against commemoration and (I quote) from the MOD, "The reason given is that there is no cause of death stated in his record, and therefore there is no evidence that his death was associated with the war."

Am I wrong in my understanding that cause or manner of death is not pertinent if the death was in service on a qualifying date? What does "associated with the war" mean? Or am I just being thick?

I would be grateful to Terry for some advice on this non-commemoration case that seems to have gone wrong.

Roy

You are correct in your belief. The answer you have is arrant nonsense.

Only two qualifications are required - In service and died in the qualifying period.

You should follow this up again.

The CWGC Royal Charter specifically requires commemoration of all men in service at death - no quibble.

I suspect that they have either given you the answer for somebody else's application or the MoD person involved does not understand the rules. This is not the first time I have heard of MoD not appreciating what should apply.

If you wish to PM me with the full details, I'll help if I can but this one has to be bounced back.

Thanks to a very helpful intervention by Terry Denham, the CWGC has informed me that they have re-submitted this case to MOD for what should be automatic approval. Now sit back and wait!

Nil desperandum.

• 2 years later...

Another old thread needing updating. Did this chap get approved? As for that idiot first adjudication in which he was REJECTED, that proves whoever was doing the work in Portsmouth at this time had no idea what they were bloody well doing! Unbelievable! :o

I am pleased to report that six weeks after the original rejection, CWGC having reminded MOD NHB of the rules (no surprise that they did not understand them), the decision was reveresed and Stanley Middleton's death is now listed on the Brookwood (UK 1914-1918) Memorial.

Glad to hear it. Sorry to re-errect such an old thread. Thinking of Stanley...

Well done Horatio2. ;)