Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

6922 L/Cpl James Webb

JohnBelcher

Apologises for missing this part of the board before but having just found it please allow me to put the details of a possible non-commemoration up.

I did put a request for help on the following thread which has more deatils about the man and when he was killed.

L/Cpl James Webb 6922 1St Btn Wilts Regt - no trace in CWGC or SDGW as far as I can see but Killed in action 24-8-1914

Many thanks

if he isnt recorded in these 2 places - -how do you know he was KIA ?

The full details are on this page

Basically there was an article I read in the local paper which had a letter from another soldier describing his death. I asked if anyone could help with more details as I could not find him on those 2 sources and a number of people gave me details.

• 4 months later...

Tracing the names on the Chippenham war memorial have come across an article in the Wiltshire times for 10 October 1914 about L/Cpl James Webb.

A Brave Soldier’s Death

Mrs Webb of Frogwell, Chippenham, widow of L/Cpl Webb of the 1st Wiltshire Regiment, who was killed in action at the front on August 26th has by means of a letter received from Pte J Britten, now in Charing Cross Hospital, a chum of L/Cpl Webb, received some additional particulars of her husbands death: -

Pte Britten who is a native of Derry Hill, Chippenham writes: "I knew that L/Cpl that you mentioned in your letter, but I am sorry to break the news to you that the poor chap got Killed in action at Cambrai on Wednesday 26th August. He was Killed in action by a shell from the Germans about 8.30am. The one you spoke about had a locket around his neck and had two photos in it; so you can see that I knew him, he used to work in the foundry. We went into action about 3 o’clock in the morning and the Germans very nearly surrounded us, so you can see we were in a tight corner. As I was crawling along I noticed him and he was hit in the head, poor chap. I should have taken the locket off only I had no chance as the Germans were on top of us. We only lost about 10 at Mons, that was in one trench, although we were shelled all the time by them devils." The writer adds that he and L/Cpl Webb went to Belgium together.

Wilts Times 31 October 1914

Also in the same paper was the Casualty list dated 26 Aug 1914

6922 L/Cpl J Webb, wife of Meadowfield, Frogwell, Chippenham. Killed in action in action.

Yet in 1917 in the In Memory colum of the paper, Mrs Webb said that he killed on the 24th Aug 1914

In loving memory of My dear husband L/Cpl James Webb. 1st Wiltshires who fell in the battle of Mons, August 24th 1914.

Ever remembered by his Wife and darling Child.

Could we have raised his dying head.

And heard his last farewell.

The grief would not have seemed so hard

To those who loved him so well.

Also remembered by his loving Father, Mother, Sisters and Brothers.

Frogwell Farm Chippenham.

Wilts Times 25 August 1917

The same date is given in 1918

In loving memory of L/Cpl Webb who was Killed in action in action in the battle of Mons August 24th 1914.

This man definetly died in 1914.

There is a death certificate issued for him as follows:-

L/Cpl James Webb - 6932 - Wiltshire Regiment

War Deaths 1914 - 1921 for the year 1914

Volume I.58 Page 155.

1914 star medal Webb, J Pte 6922 embarked 14-8-1914 1st Btn, Killed 24-8-1914 1/122

silver war medal roll state Webb , James , L/Cpl 6922 1st Wiltsjoined as Private. Killed in action 24-8-1914. vols 1540,1548

I was out looking at memorials round Melksham yesterday and found the church at Atworth was open. Inside I found a memorial plaque to Webb. The plaque confirms the details that I already had and those given by members in this topic.

post-5702-1175086206.jpg

John

Yep, I agree he appears to be missing from CWGC.

His death certificate reference in the GRO overseas list is I 58 155.

If you obtain the certificate and then contact Terry Denham, he will be able to submit the name to Commission on your behalf.

Commemoration is guaranteed in the circumstances of Webb's death.

John

Death certificate has been ordered......I think!!

Death certificate arrived this morning

L/Cpl

WEBB James

1st Btn Wilts Regt

Age 29

Date of Death 28 Aug 1914

Place of death France

Cause Killed in action

There is a 4 day discrepency in the date of death on the death certificate, the memorial plaque and in the letter from Pte Brittain.

I did write to the Wilt Regt museum about 5 years ago and seem to remember them telling me that he was wounded and died of his wounds a few days later bt typically,I cannot find their letter at the moment.

Finally scanned the Death Certificate....

Is there anything else needed now?

post-5702-1176399307.jpg

• 4 years later...