Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

SDGW look-up please

Mark Crame

Hi, I'm after any additional details on the following two one-time 16th Lancers from SDGW - I have the 16th's records but these two are not on it as they ahd been posted out.

5585 Lance Corporal Frederick Charles Marsh, later 41622 3rd Squadron, Machine Gun Corps (Cavalry). He was killed in action aged 28 on 23/03/1918. The son of Frederick and Mary Marsh of 2 Goswell Terrace, Street, Somerset.

4880 Private Edward Charles, later 107308 Gunner Edward Charles, 544 Siege Battery, Royal Garrison Artillery. Killed in action 6th November 1918. Grave 13 Frettin Communal Cemetery.

Any further info very much appreciated,

mark

Mark

SDGW has the following

Fred Marsh

Born Glastonbury, Street, Somerset enlisted Glastonbury and lived at Street in Somerset Killed in action formerly 16th Lancers

Edward Charles is listed as Alfred Charles with a service number of 187308 died of wounds Born Preston Lancs and enlisted in Liverpool no mention of the Lancers on his entry

Hambo

Many thanks Hambo, much appreciated.

MIC states:

Description Medal card of Charles, E

Corps Regiment No Rank

16th Lancers 4880 Private

Royal Garrison Artillery 187308 Private

While I'm at it, I don't suppose if you could check up on this officer could you please, as in KIA or DOW?

Major Clive MacDonnell Dixon. He was killed in action / died of wounds aged 44 on 06/11/1914. The son of Sir Raylton and Lady Dixon, of Gunnergate Hall, Marton and husband of Lilian Margaret Dixon, of Chapelgarth, Great Broughton, Cleveland, Yorks. J. 2, Nieuwkerke Churchyard.

I ahd down that he was KIA but having found the following i suspect he didn't!!

Mortally wounded during the fighting about Kruistraat on November 5th. The Reverend Percy Wyndham Guinness, BA, Chaplain of 3rd Cavalry Brigade gallantly went on his own initiative into the trenches under heavy fire and brought the wounded officer to the ambulance. In the afternoon of the same day, being the only person with a horse in the region, which was being shelled, he rode with a message under heavy fire from the 4th Hussars to the headquarters of the 3rd Cavalry Brigade. For gallant conduct he was rewarded with the DSO.

Cheers

Mark

Mark

He's listed as killed in action. There is a picture and bio of him from Bond of Sacrifice which I have if you're interested (I expect you may have it) but no additional details of his death

Hambo

Mark

He's listed as killed in action. There is a picture and bio of him from Bond of Sacrifice which I have if you're interested (I expect you may have it) but no additional details of his death

Hambo

Yes please! What is Bond of Sacrifice? I am back to researching the 16th Lancers again after a good few months off. Can't get the LG to open up on a search, hence checking the citation for the Chaplain.

Bond of Sacrifice is a book with bios of all officers killed between August 1914 and June 1915, most have an entry. Send me a PM with your email and I'll whizz it over

Brilliant! Where can I buy a copy (to get all the Lancer ones)?

Email is snapper35@hotmail.com

regards

Mark

Don't worry about that as I can scan them to you unless you're feeling flush! Naval and Military Press have it's in two volumes but I can send you the 16th men, there are only three in the 1914 volume.

I'll send them over the next couple of days

Don't worry about that as I can scan them to you unless you're feeling flush! Naval and Military Press have it's in two volumes but I can send you the 16th men, there are only three in the 1914 volume.

I'll send them over the next couple of days

Brilliant! Thanks!

They'd be:

Second Lieutenant (Acting Lieutenant) William Mackinnon Macneill. He was killed in action aged 23 on 12/10/1914. Brother of Miss EE Macneill, of Park House, Tunbridge Wells. II.N.349, Meteren Military Cemetery

Captain Arthur William Macarthur-Onslow. He was killed in action aged 37 on 05/11/1914. The son of Captain Onslow, RN, and Mrs Macarthur-Onslow, of Camden Park, South Australia and husband of Christabel Allen (formerly Macarthur-Onslow) of 43 Thurloe Square, South Kensington, London. Grave: III. C. 4, Wulverghem-Lindenhoek Road Military Cemetery.

Major Clive MacDonnell Dixon.

1915 would be:

Lieutenant Rowland Auriol James Beech. He was killed in action aged 26 on 21/02/1915. The son of Colonel RJ Beech and Mrs Beech, of Brandon Hall, Coventry. G2 Ypres Town Cemetery

Lieutenant David Ronald Cross, MC. He was killed in action aged 25 on 21/02/1915. The son of Mr and Mrs Adam Cross of Lamport Hall, Northamptonshire. Panel 5. Ypres (Menin Gate) Memorial

Lieutenant Nathaniel Walter Ryder King. He was killed in action aged 27 on 21/2/1915. The son of Mr and Mrs HJ King, of Poles, Ware, Hertfordshire. G.3, Ypres Town Cemetery

Captain Edward Radcliffe Nash. He was killed in action aged 26 on 31/03/1915. The son of Lieutenant Colonel Edward Nash (late Essex Regiment) and Mrs Nash, of 56, Sloane St., London. G.4, Ypres Town Cemetery

Major Arundell Neave, Chevalier of the Legion of Honour (France), King and Queen's South African Medals (5 Clasps). He died of wounds aged 39 on 21/02/1915. Second son of Sir Arundell Neave, 4th Baronet and Lord of the Manor and The Honourable Lady Neave, of Dagnam Park, Essex and Llysdulas, Anglesey. G.1, Ypres Town Cemetery. His battlefield cross is at Llanwenllyfo parish church, Anglesey, and it is alleged, though unsubstantiated, that his body was repatriated.

I have visited their graves.

• 4 years later...

When the Germans blew the mine at 6am Lts Ryan and Cross were in a dug out in the trench. The Germans immediately rushed after the explosion and the two Lts fought them with revolvers, Ryan was thought to have been killed but survived. Lieutenant Cross died.

Regards.

Tom.