Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Bayonet I.D. Please

Guest KevinEndon

Guest KevinEndon

Brillaint Mike H, that ties it in with the 10th Coy Imperial Camel Corps. A little beuty me thinks. Is it scarce and does it need insuring.

Kevin

I saw a similar one in a pub in Wolverhampton the other day being waved about by a suspicious looking scotsman.

Liam

Guest KevinEndon

Would love to know what the inscription says. Knowing my luck it will say something like...... bad luck and poverty to the holder of this bayonet. :ph34r:

It reads

"May the fleas of a thousand camels curse your beard and all your wives be fruitless"

Regards

TonyE

• 2 weeks later...
Guest KevinEndon

I have someone who will translate the lingo for me next week. I have found out the pic on the right in post 2 is the right way up. The bit at the bottom like a back to front 7 and a 1 is infact 31.

Could this be 1831 which I doubt and it is deffinetly not 1931 as the bayonet was captured during the first world war from a Turkish POW.

I will let you know next week what the arabic writing says

• 2 weeks later...
Guest KevinEndon

post-11197-1165517389.jpg

The language is in Turkish, which my mate cannot translate due to being an Palestinian, so if any pal out there could take a copy of the picture and take it to the kebab house next visit and ask them to translate for me it would be much appreciated. If you have a Turkish friend or infact Turkish that would be better.

• 4 weeks later...

Hello Kevin,

The inscription that you have found on the forpart of the crossguard under the barrel ring is nothing more than the manufacturers name and the date of manufacture. There are two munufacturers, their names in translation being:

1) Weyersburg, Kirschbaum & Cie, Solingen.

2) Alexander Coppel & Cie, Solingen.

Seph