Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

NZ Medical Corps

christine liava'a

I am researching someone who apparently served in the NZMC, but he is not included on the nominal rolls of the NZEF, at least on the CD. He has a file at Archives NZ, with no number, but he does have a number

3/3609. I note from other postings that there are other 3/xxxx numbers for the Medical Corps. He enlisted in may 1917, was wounded at Armentieres in 1917, and by may 1918 was back in NZ, at a hospital

If anyone can help with information about the NZMC in 1917, please contact me privately.

Christine

I am researching someone who apparently served in the NZMC, but he is not included on the nominal rolls of the NZEF, at least on the CD.

I've got a list of 7th Reinforcements, New Zealand Medical Corps that left from Wellington on 10 October 1915. They seem to be on the NZSG CD as I searched a few of the names. I tried 5 names at random on Archway and only one of the men seems to have a Service file.

Cheers, Diane

Hi

Couple of points here.

The Bar format for regimental numbers eg 3/xxxxx were in place for up to the 10th reinforcements, therefore if your man enlisted in 1917 his regimental number would have been in the latter national format eg 23355. The earlier format was unit specific unit, latter format standadised for the whole country.

The files at Archives NZ do not hold all the files of New Zealanders who served in the first world war. They hold files for men with a service record up to 1920. If a man continued his service beyond 1920, or he re enlisted eg WW2 then the file remains at the NZ army files at Trentham. I have found the Archives NZ serach facility to be a little unreliable, sometimes the files are thier, and the search engine does not find them.

As ar as I am aware the Medical units were def part of the NZEF.

cheers Aaron.

The files at Archives NZ do not hold all the files of New Zealanders who served in the first world war. They hold files for men with a service record up to 1920.

Yes you are right Aaron, I forgot about that. :D

Archives NZ seem to be missing files of some of our men who were KIA and now our Adopt an Anzac group is in a paper war with the Defence Personnel Archives in Trentham.

I'm so grateful for all the tips and hints I've learned here. Remember Alliekiwi saying you have to ask for a full and complete file for an Officer. Well I had to do that on Monday after the first file arrived with only 2 pages. The Officers files are still the real paper files too and so easy to decipher.

Cheers, Diane

I'm not sure about the officer files all being at Trentham (does a Lieutenant count as an officer? My great uncle's file was at Archives NZ and he was one), but it's certainly the case that any post-1920 activity means the file remains at Trentham. And the good thing about that is they still do the 'one free file in 12 months' thing!

Allie

Why would they seperate the files based on rank? I would have imagined that all files would have gone to Archives NZ, not just the soldier ones.

Also, (having wandered around the Defence Archive in Trentham a few years ago) there is no way of immediatly identifying who was an officer and who was not without searching the file!

Why would they seperate the files based on rank? I would have imagined that all files would have gone to Archives NZ, not just the soldier ones.

The file I got last Monday at National Archives was for a 2nd Lieut Wilfred Kirkley which only had 2 papers in it and not a lot of information. Then I recalled Allie saying that you need to ask for the full and complete file. I went back to the desk and asked if they had a full and complete file and upon checking they did and it was in a folder with all the original paperwork. Some quite fragile and yellowed with age but still very easy to read.

Cheers, Diane