Great War Forum

Remembered Today:

Alan Abbott

Soldier's In Famous Somme Film/photo

salientpoints

Just investigated a story behind this which I came across from the programme/book ww1 in colour -

A viewer wrote in to the production company - a Mr D W Fotherby stating that he

had purchased the book and subsequently the DVD, and felt certain that the British soldier on the front of the book jacket was his father.

Is there any record of a 'Fotherby' in this location/period ?

Ryan

docchippy

Another name to add to the potential for Malins' man. Newspaper article from late 1990s around the time of Birdsong being released and illustrated discussion of cinema at IWM, claims it was a William Holland, who was attached to the 59th division. He died in the 1930s. Anyone seen this article or heard this name mentioned with an idea of regt?

andigger

Salient... Do you have the ISBN number for the book. I am trying to locate it over here, and haven't had much luck on the title. Thanks, Andy

salientpoints
Salient... Do you have the ISBN number for the book. I am trying to locate it over here, and haven't had much luck on the title. Thanks, Andy

Hi Andy

The isbn is 0091897823 - if you want the DVD you can also pick that up

B0000BXBX8.02.LZZZZZZZ.jpg

Are you in the Canada? I have looked on amazon.com and neither are featured. They are both on amazon.co.uk though and the book was on amazon.ca

If you have any problems let me know. I can get them for you and sort something out?

Ryan

stiletto_33853

Hi ttdo,

The man you requested look up on is on page 289 of Southend and District Roll and says the following:-

PIPER,17539,Sgt Ernest W., MM, Royal Field Artillery

Sergeant Piper was the second son of Mr & Mrs Piper of 1, Belle Vue Place, Southchurch and was educated at Southchurch Hall School, later being employed in the Midland Railway Company, Southend. He enlisted in November 1914, and was sent to France in August 1915. He was wounded in September 1917, and in March 1918 was awarded the M.M. for his services during the retreat. He was killed in action on the 13th October aged 23, his B.S.M writing: "He was killed while serving his gun by a shell which fell among the deatachment, wounding the Major, section officer, and seceral others."

He was buried at Iwuy,near Buchan, Cambrai.

see Southend Standard 31-10-18 for obit and Southend Standard 2-11-18 for photo.

ttdo, the library containing microfilms of these papers is just down the road from me if you would like a copy of the papers let me know and i will get them for you, Southchurch Hall Schools is still there also but not sure if his house is still there although the address is, hope this helps you.

Andy

stiletto_33853

The postcard of this event, still trying to work out why credited with Beaumont Hamel when this gentleman died 4-7-16, buried in Bethune and his battalion was not even there on 1-7-16.

Andy

post-1-1077434847.jpg

andigger

Ryan,

THanks for the info. Actually I am in the US, and I have had a hard time getting books from time to time. I do have a small ace in the hole though. My roommate works for Barnes and Noble, and she can get most anything with an ISBN. I have also ordered off amazon.co.uk and they usually have a good turn around time for reasonable shipping costs.

Thanks for the offer though... you may be my second ace in the hole shoudl any of the above options fall through. Andy

Guest stephenweston

The soldier may be my grandfather 72703 Alfred George Weston DCM.

A family friend remembers my grandfather reminiscing about WW1 and one day said 'You may see me one day; I was filmed carrying a wounded man'. The family friend is adamant that it is my grandfather. Photos of my father at a similar age show a remarkable resemblance to the soldier in question.

MY grandfather was in the 65th Battery, 28th Army Brigade RFA (Weedon) in 1919. How do I find out where he served during the war with aim of placing him near the filming?

Many thanks

Steve

Guest stephenweston

Re Ski's posting in 2004. My grandfathers DCM was awarded in 1919

'During the period under review, 25th February - 17th September 1918, he consistently distinguished himself by his utter regard of danger. He has volunteered for every dangerous piece of work, and by his gallantry and personal disregard of danger, undoubtedly inspired the men of the battery' (London Gazette 3rd Sept 1919)

Steve

depaor01

Old topic I know but interestingly, Guest Roger Smither of the IWM above, mentions that the man carrying was believed by the filmmakers to be a "Heavy Artillery Man". The IWM themselves have located a contemporary  Irish newspaper article that seems to inch towards an identification of the man:

https://www.irishtimes.com/opinion/the-face-of-war-how-a-finglas-man-may-be-the-answer-to-a-100-year-old-mystery-1.3633535

Dave

Skipman

Brennan won D.C.M. in March 1918

Why would an R.G.A. man be in the front line on 1/7/1916?

Mike

depaor01
35 minutes ago, Skipman said:

Why would an R.G.A. man be in the front line on 1/7/1916?

Not sure of why an RGA man wouldn't be. Were they not?

Dave

Skipman
8 hours ago, depaor01 said:

Not sure of why an RGA man wouldn't be. Were they not?

Dave

I'm not an expert Dave but I thought Siege Batteries and the like were hundreds, or thousands of yards, behind the front line shelling German batteries and selected targets. I'm happy to be put right on that.

Mike

Skipman

There's another thread 'on the go' here that has interesting and useful information. Click

We're a bit of a way off positive ID yet, are we not?

Mike

Skipman

I think 14 SB, were in 36th HAG of VIII. Corps on 1/7/1916, north of Beaumont Hamel, so in right place. (If I have units correct?) :whistle:

Mike

depaor01
13 hours ago, Skipman said:

I'm not an expert Dave but I thought Siege Batteries and the like were hundreds, or thousands of yards, behind the front line shelling German batteries and selected targets. I'm happy to be put right on that.

Mike

Ah. OK. I posted the link for info without any opinion of its veracity. Every mickle makes a muckle as they say.

I actually hadn't any idea the batteries were so far away from the front, so thanks for that.

13 hours ago, Skipman said:

We certainly are, but I'd go as far as to say another piece in the puzzle.

depaor01
12 hours ago, Skipman said:

I think 14 SB, were in 36th HAG of VIII. Corps on 1/7/1916, north of Beaumont Hamel, so in right place. (If I have units correct?) :whistle:

Troop movements were never my strong point. Hopefully someone might come along shortly to confirm or deny!

Skipman
1 hour ago, depaor01 said:

Troop movements were never my strong point. Hopefully someone might come along shortly to confirm or deny!

I hope so, as they are not particularly my strong point either. Again, I'm not certain my theory of RGA men not being in the front line is correct. I dare say they had observers etc.

Mike