Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

NZ Memorial- Hyde Park, London

christine liava'a

Could anybody who attends this opening please take photographs to post here, for the benefit of all Kiwis back home! No doubt we will see TV and newspaper photos, but some from you would be appreciated.

Christine

Hmm. I went to pay respects at Boy David yesterday (Thursday) and couldn't get anywhere near. Not because of all the blasted building work (of course, finished) but because they had fenced things off for a 'son et lumiere' set up. Very underwhelmed. And I nearly lost it to see BD's steps being used as a storeroom for cables and discarded hard hats.

Got to be honest - from a distance it is NOT impressive. Looks like a random explosion in a girder factory. Ah well, it's not nearly as bad as the new national memorial to the USAF near the Pentagon; it looks like they bought a second hand Soviet space monument.

I won't be there on Sunday, Christine, but will scour the UK sources for agency pics when I get the chance.

From the 'artists impressions' I've seen, I'm not overly impressed. Why do they make these modern things that you have to 'interpret' in some way, and if you dont appreciate them, somehow you're lacking in cultural/artisitc awareness or something?

Allie