Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

History of the 7th Service Battalion Yorks and Lancs Regiment (Pioneer

Joan and Terry

Hello all

Only just found this as just starting out with research really

I am interested to find out what I can about my grandfather Richard Davies born 1875 , who enlisted age 39 and served from 1914 -1918.

I know he was in the 7th battalion of the Yorks and Lancs regiment and his original number was 3914 but there is an army number 580876 on some documents I have found.

Any information / or where to look for it much appreciated

• Admin

Hello Barbara, and welcome,

I recommend that you start a thread about your grandfather in the Soldiers section; looking at the 7th Y&L they were pioneers and were in the 17th Division.

Michelle 

Hi Barbara,

Richard has a set of service papers on FMP (link here) - they should also be on Ancestry. The 1st number is his Y&L number, the 2nd is a Labour Corps number. There is good advice on how to research a soldier on the Long Long Trail - see here. The war diary for the 7th Battalion Y&L is at the National Archives here, or on Ancestry here.

Regards

Chris

Hello and thank you for your comments they are much appreciated.

I have  found some more information on 'find my past' and have looked at the battalion war diary to find out where he was deployed but have no idea what company he would have been in. I will try the 'Soldiers ' thread thank you and keep looking !

• 3 months later...
On 14 September 2018 at 13:19, Barbara said:

Hello all

Only just found this as just starting out with research really

I am interested to find out what I can about my grandfather Richard Davies born 1875 , who enlisted age 39 and served from 1914 -1918.

I know he was in the 7th battalion of the Yorks and Lancs regiment and his original number was 3914 but there is an army number 580876 on some documents I have found.

Any information / or where to look for it much appreciated

Hello Barbara 

On Ancestry is the 7th Battalion war diaries and it tells you what they did for the whole war. My great grandfather was in the battalion and was killed on 25th October 1917 and was a killed building a railway. We have found out his brothers were by his side when he died and even went to his funeral at Bard cottage cemetery from the local paper in Mexborough. My relative was called Walter Skirrow and his brothers were Harry, Joseph and James who were all with him. I know Joseph was wounded at some point.

best wishes

michelle