Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

History of the 7th Service Battalion Yorks and Lancs Regiment (Pioneer

Joan and Terry

I have a copy of the History of this Regiment,if anyone has a family member they would like to enquire about please let me know.My Grandfather Edgar Simms served with the Regiment and survived the War.

regards

Joan

• 9 months later...
I have a copy of the History of this Regiment,if anyone has a family member they would like to enquire about please let me know.My Grandfather Edgar Simms served with the Regiment and survived the War.

regards

Joan

Hi joan, Vague request but looking for John Edward OATES or Harry ADAMS.

Regards Ron.

Vague request but looking for John Edward OATES or Harry ADAMS.

That wouldn't be a Harry Oswin Adams would it?

Norrette

• 4 years later...

I know this an old thread Any mention of L cpl Arthur Ellis no 11852 Killed 20 Nov 1916 Buried at Guards Cemetery Leboeuf D company 7th battn

Landed in France July 1915

• 4 years later...

Hello

Apologies it has taken so long to contact you but have just found this thread. Any mention in the book of James Bowd ? He was my great uncle, posted to 7th Yorks & Lancs from RGA, must have been a change for a lad from Egham, Surrey. Look forwrd to your response.

Gentlemen, I have not heard from JoanTel for ages.

I have a copy of the said book, I'm about to have my tea and will have a look afterwards.

Cheers Roger.

Hello JonBowd, there is no mention of him in the History book of the 7th Battalion.

According to his Service Record he never served in the 7th Battalion.

He first enrolled in the RGA then due to something I quite can't make out he transferred to the York and Lancaster Regiment first with the 3rd Battalian, then the 2nd and briefly the 4th, then he was wounded out looks like shell fire damage.

Cheers Roger.

Hello Ellis1918.

The only thing mentioned about him is that he was in "D" coy and he was killed by shell fire.

I have a copy somewhere of the war diary I could have a look over the weekend and see if I can gleam anything else out.

Cheers Roger.

• 6 months later...
On 08/04/2016 at 20:04, Roger Thompson said:

Hello Ellis1918.

The only thing mentioned about him is that he was in "D" coy and he was killed by shell fire.

I have a copy somewhere of the war diary I could have a look over the weekend and see if I can gleam anything else out.

Cheers Roger.

Would you be able to help me out? My great grandfather, Ernest Tomkins, was in the 7th Battalion of the Yorks and Lancs. Is there any information about him? 

Hi JayPee118,

Welcome to the Forum.

Findmypast have some records (including service papers) for a 12447 Ernest Tomkins (born circa 1895, resident in Woodhouse, Sheffield), who served with the 7th Battalion. The record search results can be seen here. If the records are for your great grandfather, they show that he joined up on 1st September 1914, and went abroad on 13th July 1915. He was wounded twice (once accidently), and was eventually discharged "surplus to military requirements (having suffered impairment since entry into the service)" on 18th March 1919. Forces War Records have a transcribed hospital admission/discharge record for 12447 Tomkins from 1916. My guess would be that the record relates to his initial accidental wounding, and would probably contain a few bits of information which aren't shown in his service papers.

As well as FMP, Ancestry should also have a copy of the service record. They also have an original image of his Silver War Badge record (FMP only have a transcription). They also have original images of his Medal Index Card, 14/15 Star Roll, and British War Medal & Victory Medal Roll. If you were to want a copy of the Battalion war diary it is on Ancestry here, but is easier to download (due to the file format) from the National Archives here. It is unlikely to mention Ernest by name.

There is good advice on researching soldiers on The Long, Long Trail - here.

Good luck.

Regards

Chris

15 hours ago, clk said:

Hi JayPee118,

Welcome to the Forum.

Findmypast have some records (including service papers) for a 12447 Ernest Tomkins (born circa 1895, resident in Woodhouse, Sheffield), who served with the 7th Battalion. The record search results can be seen here. If the records are for your great grandfather, they show that he joined up on 1st September 1914, and went abroad on 13th July 1915. He was wounded twice (once accidently), and was eventually discharged "surplus to military requirements (having suffered impairment since entry into the service)" on 18th March 1919. Forces War Records have a transcribed hospital admission/discharge record for 12447 Tomkins from 1916. My guess would be that the record relates to his initial accidental wounding, and would probably contain a few bits of information which aren't shown in his service papers.

As well as FMP, Ancestry should also have a copy of the service record. They also have an original image of his Silver War Badge record (FMP only have a transcription). They also have original images of his Medal Index Card, 14/15 Star Roll, and British War Medal & Victory Medal Roll. If you were to want a copy of the Battalion war diary it is on Ancestry here, but is easier to download (due to the file format) from the National Archives here. It is unlikely to mention Ernest by name.

There is good advice on researching soldiers on The Long, Long Trail - here.

Good luck.

Regards

Chris

Thanks, that is him. He lost the use of one arm and was blinded in one eye. He struggled to find work after the war and my grandad grew up in grinding poverty. Ernest died in Sheffield in 1953. 

On 08/04/2016 at 20:04, Roger Thompson said:

Hello Ellis1918.

Cheers Roger.

Roger please accept my apologies for not spotting your April 2016 response to my query to joantel in March 2012.

I have a copy of the 7th Y&L war diary and he is mentioned by name , as are most of the casualties around that period , although his service number is recorded incorrectly. I have also traced his original burial place. It will be the 100th anniversary of his death on 20th Nov this year

• 1 month later...

Hello Roger

Many thanks for your reply and apologies for the long delay in responding. I have a copy of his service record and much of it is unreadable hence the confusion over which battalion he was in, but attached are the relevant entries:  

So signed up RGA on 18/11/14 at Hounslow, 19/11 at Newhaven (fort ?), 1/1/15 posted, 16/1/15 forfiture of pay, 7/6/15 transferred 3 Y&L, 18/8/15 posted France.

From the looks of the info it didn't take him very long to upset someone !! If you could provide any dates for his service with those other Battalions it would be much appreciated, or pehaps you could direct me to where such info can be found.  As you state he was discharged wounded in September 1917.  Looking at what they were all up to would I be right to assume that he ended up in the 3/4 Battalion ?

3/4th and 3/5th Battalion Territorial Force
Mar 1915 Formed and then moved to Clipstone.
08.04.1916 Became the 4th and 5th Reserve Battalions.
01.09.1916 The 4th absorbed the 5th as part of the West Riding Reserve Brigade.
Oct 1917 Moved to Rugeley, then Woodbridge and Southen by 19.10.1918.

GREAT UNCLE JAMES.jpg

Edited by 7Y&LP
Additional info

Hello there chaps Ellis1918, and 7Y&LP,

Sorry I have not spotted you both before now, where does the time fly.

Ellis1918 no problems,

7Y&LP with the time of year, is it alright if I have another look after Boxing Day, if I get chance before then I will.

Cheers Roger.

Hello Roger, you have got back to me much quicker than I got back to you so I am in no rush. I look forward to you further comments as and when. I wish you and yours a happy christmas with best wishes for  2017 - till next time, Jonathan Bowd PS I may have to change my site names now but 324Y&L could get confusing !

Hello there 7Y&LP, this handle is fine lol.

Cheers Roger.

On 11/7/2016 at 16:53, clk said:

Forces War Records have a transcribed hospital admission/discharge record for 12447 Tomkins from 1916.

CLK,

Do you happen to know whether Forces War Records derives this info from the soldier's service record, or is there a separate listing of hospital admission/discharge records ?

My own grandfather was in hospital at one point, but his service record did not survive the 1940 fire.

Regards,

JMB

Hi JMB,

I believe that they are transcribing the MH 106 records held by the National Archive. Unfortunately, though the record set is just a small sample of the original records, the rest believed to have been lost/destroyed (see here). All very frustrating!

Regards

Chris

Chris,

Many thanks for that link; I'll give it a look while keeping my fingers crossed!

Best wishes for Christmas & the New Year.

Regards,

JMB

• 3 weeks later...

Hello 7Y&LP,

I have sent you a PM.

Cheers Roger.

• 5 months later...
On 11/9/2006 at 16:47, Joan and Terry said:

regards

Joan

Hi Joan

I have the Death Plaque of a 2Lt who was commisioned into 3rd Regt August 1917 but Transferred to Raf in June 1918 from the 7th Batt. Do you have any mentions of him either in the book or war diaries?

2nd Lt Frank Arnold Parfitt

Thanks

Hello there Buxton_blade,

We have not heard from Joan for years.

I have the History Book and also the war diaries for the 7th Y&L's it was my granddads Battalion.

2nd Lt Frank Arnold Parfitt is first mentioned as having joined the Battalion along with others on the 25th October 1917 and posted to B company.

In March 1918 the Battalion was reduced fron 4 companies to 3 and he once again mentioned as being posted to B company along with other officers and men of the old D company, so at some point he must have be attached to D company.

At this moment in time I have not found his move from the Y&L's to the RAF.

Regards, 

Roger.

Great News Roger thanks

I have him as joining the 'School of Aerial Gunnery' on 27 July 1918 - officially he was 'attached' and therefore possibly still on the 'books' of the 7th Batt?

What areas and battles were the 7th involved in from Oct 17 to July 18?

Backgound :- He joined 12th Batt Dec 14 and was wounded x3 on 01 Jul 16 and then when fit applied for a commision. His brother Bertram (also 2lt from Y+L) joined the same air school on 01 Sep 18 - unfortunately Frank died of injuries after a mid air collision 13 Sep 18!! Hopefully Bertram had a chance to comfort his brother in the last minutes of his life. Bertram himself was admitted to the military hospital in Reading the day after armistice (less than a month after seeing his brother die but having survived the war)........ he died of the Spanish Flu 5 days later on 17 Nov 18

Regards

Wayne

Hello there Wayne,

During the period you are asking about the Battalion was heavily engaged in creating and maintaining a light railway system along with trench digging and repairing and also some times acting as front line infantry sections.

The war diaries are heavy going but worth it.

The war diaries are available to down load on line for just over £3.00.

I was bog eyed last night reading it again, but I will have another go at it for you.

Cheers Roger.