Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Youngest Officer killed on the Somme

Stephen Barker

I've discovered a 17 year old officer killed on the 15th November 1916 called 2nd Lt. Eddie Fisher 3rd (attached 8th) East Lancs fighting with the 112th Brigade 37th Division. Is he the youngest killed on the Somme?

We would be hard pressed to beat that. I have seen plenty at 18 and 19yrs-but 17 is easily the youngest I have ever heard of.

Can you imagine the level of responsibility and maturity he must have needed to do his job...and as a mere child? I remember being that age and would consider myself lucky if I have the maturity to do my homework for Monday morning (let alone lead a company on the Western Front).

My hats off, and full respect to young 2nd Lt. Eddie Fisher.

Just to go to the opposite end of the scale here. Who was the oldest officer killed during the Great War. I seem to remember reading somewhere of a 67 year old officer being killed but is this correct and is there any one older?

Martyn

Lieutenant Henry Webber aged 68, 7th Bn South Lancs, killed on 21/7/16 and buried in Dartmoor Cemetery, Becordel-Becourt. I think he was the Bn Transport Officer and was killed by shellfire in the support line. Webber had been a member of the London Stock Exchange for 40 years.

Terry

Not quite as old as Henry Webber but I think in the cemetery near Aveluy there was a 51 yr old 2nd Lt. I have a picture of his headstone somewhere with the intention of pulling his file in a spare moment at Kew.

Lt. E. Harrison of the 1/Leicestershire, who was killed in June 1916 in Ypres sector (I know the thread is Somme related) was known as "Baby Harrison" as he was only seventeen.

Annette