The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Royal Engineers

Guest shirley-anna

Guest shirley-anna

Hello everyone,

I've been directed to your site by contributors to the BBC "Who do you think you are" Family Tree forum, as I'm trying to obtain info about my G-Grandfather's Service Record.

I have obtained his Medal Card, and although I can't make head nor tail of it, it seems that he didn't sign up until 1916 at the age of 40. Older members of the family recall that he was gassed at Ypres and subsequently lost a lung, but despite this, lived to the age of 81.

Can anyone tell me whether his Service Record would be held at Kew, and whether it would provide me with any additional details? If so, is there anyone who would be able to look-up his record for me as I live at the other end of the country?

Many thanks,

Anna

It is pot-luck whether or not his records would have survived - I reckon about 30-40% chance. Someone may volunteer for you, otherwise you can pay the National Archives what I consider a reasonable price that they charge.

But even without service papers there is a lot that can be learned about his war. I'm sure people here can offer you alot.

Please start by posting an image of his MIC or at the very least all of the details off of it.

Guest shirley-anna

Hi Max (UK),

Thanks for your reply.

I'm not sure how to post a copy, but the info on the card is as follows:

Henry Leadbetter, Corps R.E., Rank Sapper, Regtl. No. 217292;

Lab. C., 378483;

Victory Roll LC/101/B131, Page 13282;

British (looks like) do do

Does this make any sense to you? Would welcome advice!

Anna