Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Cpl T. Kerton. MM, Devonshire Regt

Guest peter johnson

Guest peter johnson

On the local War Memorial and Roll of Honour for Ripon, N,Yorks there is a Cpl T. Kerton. MM. Devonshire Regt. Unable to locate him on Sdgw CD or the CWGC site, also no mention of him in the local papers from that time. Hoping that someone may be able to help locate this Soldier.

Peter,

I can find no mention of a Cpl T. Kerton in the History of the Devonshire Regiment 1914-1918. He is not listed as a casualty nor as one of those who received the M.M.

However, the London Gazette Supplement (11 February 1919) does contain an entry for Pte 263186 T. W. Kerton; 4th Bn (Ripon), York and Lancaster Regiment. Unfortunately, his name is not listed on either SDGW CD-Rom or CWGC Website which would indicate that he may have died some time after the cessation of hostilities. IF this is the right individual then it would not be unusual for his name to be included on the local memorial/Roll of Honour especially if this was not unveiled until early or mid 1920's. I have come across a few examples in my own research where this has occured or names have been added many years afterwards.

Hope that this helps.

Regards

Marc

Guest peter johnson

Marc

Many thanks for the info. This at least gives me a new lead. As Ripon was a military town [and still is] there are a lot of graves in the local Cemetary for soldiers who died whilst at Ripon or came home Wouded but did not recover.

Peter