Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Frederick W Whittington

JohnBelcher

We have finally managed to track down the details on my wife's grandfather. He survived the war but after his death his widow threw out / destroyed all records about him including his medals. His details are:

Frederick Walter Whittington

from his MIC

L/14233 1st Middlesex Regt (there are 2 lines that say this)

6188895 RA (MIC shows *W X R.A.)

Landed in France 11 Aug 1914 (this is the date his Regt landed)

Under the remarks is POW

My questions are

Was he a regular soldier?

Is there an online source listing PoWs - when they were captured and where they were held?

What does the *W X next to RA mean?

If anyone can help with any of the questions or supply any details it would be very gratefully recieved by my mother-in-law and wife.

Many thanks in advance

post-5702-1163015600.jpg

John

It looks like there were 2 regiments here,also that the card was firstly made out for the Middx Regt and then his time as a Gunner 6188895 in the Royal Artillery was added later. So the X RA annotation probably means that he was in the RA firstly and the note ex-Royal Artillery added.

I will do a bit more checking and see what there is to find.

Best wishes

Sotonmate

John

There is a record of a Sgt F Whitington (one T) as a POW at Gustrow,in National Archives Kew file WO161,as gleaned from the Long Long Trail at the top of this page.

The relevant Soldier's microfilm record for soldiers named Whittington is is WO363/W1133. If the name is recorded as Whitington it is in WO363/W815.

War Diary for 1 Middlesex Regiment is WO95/1365 for the period Aug 1914 to Nov 1915,and WO95/2426 for the period Dec 1915 to May 1919.

Good hunting

Sotonmate