Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Billon wood and Fargny wood.

davidgough

Hi there.

Does anyone know of the location of Billon wood and Fargny wood, i am not sure if they still exist but would like to know what remains of them or their position, They are/were in the vicinity of maricourt and were part of the objectives of the 8th batt post office rifles during 26th-28th August 1918.

Thanks Dave Gough.

Dave,

Billon Wood looks like it still exists. On the Serie Bleu 2408E Bray-sur-Somme a Bois de Billon is shown just south of Carnoy. The only reason I'd heard of it is because it was near Le Plateau railway station, which is where the tanks for the battle of Cambrai embarked. Some of the tanks were parked in Billon Wood while they waited to be loaded.

I can't see Fargny Wood but the village of the same name is near Curlu on the banks of the river.

Regards,

Ian.

I took some pics of the remains of Fargny Mill if you want them.

Martin

• 6 months later...

David I am wondering if you found out about the action your relative was in. My father-in-laws uncle was in the post office rifles and was killed 28th august 1918. he is in Suzanne no 3 cemetary. i am new member and unsure how to go about the research.

thank you denise davies

Dave

I have some modern pics from Fargny area if you want them.

Just PM me with your email address.

Martin

"i am not sure if they still exist but would like to know what remains of them or their position"

They are both shown at

http://www.geoportail.fr/index.php?event=D...f7d2e88aa8ee6ae

Put Maricourt into "Aller á"

Aerial photo comes up

move slider at top left to "cartes" and you will get a 1;10,000 map of the area

Zoom using slider top right

Scan below (sorry for poor quality but will give you an idea)

post-700-1180176329.jpg

David I am wondering if you found out about the action your relative was in. My father-in-laws uncle was in the post office rifles and was killed 28th august 1918. he is in Suzanne no 3 cemetary. i am new member and unsure how to go about the research.

thank you denise davies

Denise

Firstly, welcome to the Forum.

I have researched a soldier from the Post Office rifles who was killed on the 28th.

I have attached the war diary details. What was your relatives name ? - might be worth you starting a new thread for general info on him, good luck.

Glyn

post-5500-1180195756.jpg

post-5500-1180195771.jpg

post-5500-1180195883.jpg

• 2 months later...

David

Billan wood is still there. It is just off the road from Maricourt to Bray sur Somme. I passed right by it on a coach tour last summer and hope to stop and visit it in September when I go back.

There is a small cemetery at a farm across the road from the wood which I understand it was used as a field hospital. My Grandad, as part of the 19th Manchesters, mentions in his diary about being in the wood several times during the period January - May 1916.

regards

star