Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Soldiers who lost their lives

witzend

Just heard about a site for family history. Seems they have military records of those who perished. I haven't checked it out myself but it may be of interest to some of you. It seems you must register before using the site.

www.familyrelatives.org

Lynn

They listed the records as a future resource.

And in any event, it's "Soldiers Died in the Great War" - usually available via your local history library on CD. And already available as "pay per view" on Naval & Military's own subsidiary website, military-genealogy.com. Which is why I wouldnt advise holding your breath for someone else doing it (doesnt seem likely that N & M would permot it).

The other Great War related info they have is the GRO Overseas deaths index - also already available at 1837online.

John

John,

"(doesnt seem likely that N & M would permot it)."

Would they be able to stop someone transcribing the originals and using it on a Web site. Im sure they don't hold any copyright.

Regards Charles

Charles

I suspect things might get a tad difficult. As I understand things, the originals will be "crown copyright" which have constraints about use, particularly for commercial gain. I don't think that the normal time span thing applies to the Crown. Presumably the Crown has licensed N & M in some way.

Still if someone can do it and undercut N& M, then so be it. I'll be sticking with my CD copy anyway.

John

John,

Thanks for that, bit of a minefield but this seems simple enough for Crown Copyright.

Copyrights Designs and Patents Act 1988

The duration of Crown copyright varies depending whether material is published or unpublished. Unpublished material was originally subject to copyright protection in perpetuity. However, the 1988 Act removed this concept from British law. Transitional provisions apply for 50 years after the entry into force of the 1988 Act which mean that no unpublished material will lose its copyright protection until January 1, 2040. New Crown copyright material that is unpublished has copyright protection for 125 years from date of creation. Published Crown copyright material has protection for 50 years from date of publication.

Regards Charles