Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

8th Battalion North Staffs

Guest KevinEndon

Guest KevinEndon

Could any pal please tell me what happend on the 29th, 30th and 31st December 1917 that would have killed 201470 J W Simcock of the 8th Btn. North Staffordshire Regiment. Any info would be much appreciated.

Kevin

Kev,

They were in trenches at Nine Wood in front of Havrincourt (Hindenburg Line).

29 December: Air activity. Slight hostile shelling of our lines

30 December: At 7.30am enemy put down a very heavy barrage on our right and our right and centre Coys were also heavily shelled. The enemy launched a strong attack on our right with the object of capturing Welsh Ridge. In this he was unsuccessful although he had some slight success in three places entering the front of 63rd Naval Division. The barrage lasted for about 1 1/2 hours and was again repeated twice during the morning. Heavy firing was kept up all day. Casualties were heavy. 2Lt A Donald and 2 Lt A Lindsay wounded, 2Lt V Lisbona sick to hospital. B Coy relieved C Coy in R front line.

31 December: At 8.30am enemy put down another heavy barrage on our right Centre Coys and the Division on our right. Casualties for the two days: ORs killed 15, missing 2, wounded 48, Lt F Clarke MC wounded, 2Lt C Shirley to FA. The Battn was relieved by 10 Worcesters and proceeded to Support. A Coy came under the orders of OC 10 Worcesters.

Hope you're well

Phil

PS

Kev, I don't have Simcock on my list of 8 NS dead. Are you sure he is 8 NS?

Phil

Guest KevinEndon

Phil your list is pants lol. How's tricks mate. I will PM you in a bit for a meet.

Mr Simcock was indeed in the 8th battalion

http://www.cwgc.org/search/casualty_detail...casualty=595715

as you can see his date of death is the 30th December. Some relatives from Yorkshire (Harrogate) are coming over to Endon for the memorial service Sunday and he asked me if I could find any info out on J W Simcock. Thanks for you help.

Kevin

Thanks, Kev,

The list is from the Battalion History and this is not the first error/omission!

Look forward to hearing from you

Phil