Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

16th & 12th KRRC

stiletto_33853

Can anyone tell me the whereabouts of these two battalion in August 1916.

Andy

And, if possible what action(s) they were involved in on the 18th.

Andy

Andy - don;t think 12th KRRC were involved in an action on that date; my records show: Took over trenches opposite Serre (6th August). Relieved and to Couin (14 August); Later to Amplier, Fienvillers, Ville and Meaulte before taking over old British line in front of Carnoy.

Will check (Steve Broomfields) copy of hostory of 20th Div this evening

Stephen

I have a friend who has, this summer, been over to the Somme to continue his research on one of his relatives in the KRRC and another somewhat distant relative also in the KRRC.

For some reason one of the names sparked off the grey matter, and, although familiar I could not put my finger on why, which, was irking me somewhat, to put it mildly.

This morning I opened the file on an Rifle Brigade Officer I have been researching and found my friends relation, who although in the 12th KRRC was attached to the 7th Rifle Brigade in July 1916 and died on the 18-8-16 in the attack and Capture of Orchard Trench and part of Wood Lane.

Some time ago I posted on the forum an enquiry regarding transfers from the 12th & 16th KRRC to the 7th Rifle Brigade and if anyone had any knowledge of this.

So, the grey matter starts its slow churning away again and made me wonder, CWGC and SDGW has this man as 12th KRRC, killed 18-8-16, and yet he died on attachment to the 7th Rifle Brigade. The 12th KRRC were at Couin and my friend has been following the KRRC route for his research.

In the 7th RB War Diaries casualty reports it has a seperate section for those killed or wounded from the 12th and 16th KRRC whilst attached to the 7th RB.

Impossible for the CWGC to list such an attachment one supposes, but, how many relatives/researchers are or have chased around tracking their relatives movements and yet they were attached to another unit and somewhere else entirely????

Interesting conundrum and food for thought.

Andy

Hi Andy

Between the 18th & 21st the 20th Division were moving down from the Beaumont - Hebuterne sector to the sector north of the Guillemont-Montauban road, reliveing the 24th Division on the 22nd August.

Annette

Andy I have found that with some of my K.S.L.I., they were attached to other units when killed but SD & CWGC record them under their K.S.L.I. battalions.

Annette

Hi Annette,

Thanks, I have come across this before but it still makes me wonder. Attached is the seperate part of the casualty reports for the 12th KRRC attached to the 7th RB. Wonder if anyone out there has the 12th KRRC War Diary for July/August 1916 to see if there is any mention of these transfers.

Andy

post-1871-1162992642.jpg