Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Can anyone identify the ensignia on his left arm

Steve_McGarry

Hi here is a pic of Great Grandad .. Looking at Medal Rolls I think he was in the Lancashire Fusiliers .. He's the only Woolf Phillips I found.. Can you identify the ensignia on the left sleeve ??? I can send bigger pic if required ... many thanks .. The poor bloke came home and his wife had had it on her toes with another bloke ... :angry:

Woolf3.jpg.3ffd70cd5c43bd8f4b893dd7eeb2fb5e.jpg

Many thanks in advance

Well, the invetred chevron is a long service stripe - 2 years, I believe. Can't make out the round badge: some form of trade badge, but can't see it clearly. The stripes on his right arm are overseas secrvice chevrons.

hiya steve,your gt grandfather was a bethnal green lad,i doubt if he would have been in a territorial battalion in lancashire,do you think this could be him.

pte woolfe,w phillips

london regt 595019 then transferred to the KRRC as pte 52068

regards,bernard

Bernard ... My Flabber is gasted !! How did you find that info out ... Woolf was indeed a Bethnal Green lad.His middle name was william... I am puzzelled to know how you found that info when my search of the Medal rolls only found one woolf .. A quick check on the medal rolls of 595019 shows he was in the 9th London regt until transferred to the KRRC .. no batt number though :(

hiya steve,i just added an E to his christian name,i have had trouble with misscribed names before,one of them was a pte woolfenden,which turned out to be spelt,wolfenden,at least gt grandfathers been found,good hunting steve,bernard

• 6 months later...
Guest selegend

Hi Steve ,

I have been looking for a Alfred Robert Woolfe who fought in the boer war and ww1,AND he was also born in Bethnal Green!

could they be related.

thanks for your time

steve edwards