Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Curragh Mutiny

Armoured Farmer

• 2 weeks later...

The follwing passage is taken from my forthcoming book (whenever it eventually goes to print!!!)

As far as 5th Lancers are concerned the following officers offered to resign their commissions:

Lieutenant-Colonel Arthur Parker

Major James Bruce Jardine

Captain A. G. McLintock

Captain Herbert Maddick

Captain Henry Alexander Cooper

Captain Vane de V. Mortimer Vallance

Lieutenant Brian Winwood-Robinson

Lieutenant J A Batten-Pooll

Lieutenant George Critchett Juler

Lieutenant E. Ramsden

Lieutenant Alistair I. MacDougall

Lieutenant John Arthur Talbot Rice

Lieutenant Hon Herbrand Charles Alexander

Second-2nd Lieutenant E W Robinson

Second-2nd Lieutenant William H Coulter

Second-2nd Lieutenant C H Stringer

Second-2nd Lieutenant John Dudley Fowler

These seventeen officers were with the regiment at the time. Of the three remaining officers, one claimed protection as he resided in Ulster and the other two were away from the regiment on other duties but claimed they would uphold the decision of the regiment and if needed, they too would also resign their commissions. In effect, the whole officer core of 5th Lancers were willing to resign their commissions.

Ciaran,

Thanks for this.

I'm not sure if you are aware that the third officer on the list, AG McLintock later commanded the 2nd South Irish Horse when it was a Corps Cavalry Regiment during the war.

- 22.1.17 - Lieut Col AG McClintock arrived in Pas & took over command of the Regt -

http://southirishhorse.com/documents/sih_war_diaries_2.htm

There is also a pre war photograph of him of him whilst Adjutant of a Yeomanry regiment, Worcestershire, I think.

Best Regards

Hugh

• 8 years later...

I was looking for a photograph of Lieut Colonel A G McLintock on Google and ended up here.

I have tried the Worcestershire Yeomanry, but no luck. Could Armoured Farmer or anyone else help?

David

Guest Tony Clatworthy

info so far

4th Hussars: Lt Col I G Hogg, Maj Howell, Capt AVW Stokes (Adjt)

5th Lancers: Lt Col Arthur Parker, Maj JB Jardine; Maj MF McTarggart.

16th Lancers: Lt Col ML MacEwan; Maj CJ Eccles, Maj CE StK Harris-St John; Maj RLMacAlpine-Leng; Maj CLK Campbell; Capt A Neave. Lt ER Nash.

Signal Tp; Lt J Penrose.

From what I can read, Lt Col Hogg withdrew his resignation after the "clairification" by Sir Arthur Paget (AP); it appears that 16th Lancers did not withdraw as they were unsure of the position after AP's follow-up.

Stephen

As a point of interest Capt Nash is in Ypres Town Cemetery along with two other 16 Lancer officer blown up by a mine at Hooge.

At the risk of causing unwanted dissent on this fascinating thread, Curragh Incident a far more accurate term than Curragh Mutiny.

No,Mutiny is accurate.

Murrough

I have to agree with David on this one. I don't think that any direct orders were disobeyed by Gough and the officers of 3 Cavalry Brigade. I am certainly unaware of any of them having to face a court-martial over their actions.

Ron

Is it fair to suggest it was an "Incident" which might have become a "Mutiny" had matters progressed?

My understanding was resignation if ordered to take up arms. I am not aware of any officers - acting in concert as laid down - participating in such an event. Were there?

As an Irishman living on the edge of the Curragh (not that this is a qualification to answer the question!), I have to agree, there was no mutiny.

There was a serious of questions asked about how people would act if they were presented with certain scenarios.

In saying that, the political / military leadership showed serious weakness by allowing the situation to reach the crisis that it did. Imagine politicians not showing leadership and letting interest groups get their way.....

Mark

As an Irishman living on the edge of the Curragh (not that this is a qualification to answer the question!),

Mark

To be fair, it's as good as any other.

• 1 year later...
On 07/11/2006 at 18:33, themonsstar said:

Hi all

This is from the diarie of a Lt in the 80th Battery RFA.

Then:

" The King earnestly desires that as few officers as possible will avail themselves of alternatives one and two."

Themonsstar:- 

Is this diary readily available - or in some private papers?  I am researching (in a very short term) the role of the King in the 'incident'.  I have Beckett's excellent book which I'm about to re-read. 

ALL: - Do we know of any other sources mentioning the King's involvement (or otherwise)?

• 7 years later...