The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Searching for more Info on Great-Grandfather

Vikki

Rifleman 6349 William Comery Kings royal rifle corps 1st battalion died 26 October 1914 in Ypres France . . . . he is believed to have been born in Basford Nottingham we have no idea of his age or any thing else. . .any friendly advice on finding anymore information would be greatly recieved

Hello Vikki and welcome to the Forum.

The best initial advice I can offer is to suggest you read the "research" section of the mother site - click the Long Long Trail link, top left of this page. It should tell you all you need to know about how to find the information (if its out there).

When you've had a nosy round that, please come back and post about anything you're not sure of.

John

To be going on with, this is a link to his medal entitlement records (called a Medal Index Card) at the National Archives:-

Clickety click

You can download the info for £3.50.

And this to his entry on the website of the war Graves Commission

Click

John

1st KRRC were in action at Polygon Wood on the 26th of October.

Bob.

Oh my Goodness that brought a tear to my eyes, thankyou everyone for your helpful replys ^_^

Hello Vikki

This may seem obvious but because of the date of his death and the fact he was with the 1st Bn it seems more than likely to me that he was a pre-war regular.

Andy

Ancestry (.com, .ca, .co.uk) has the 1901 census. The most likely candidate seems to be:

http://search.ancestry.ca/cgi-bin/sse.dll?...&recoff=1+2

He'd be a little old, but I've seen older. There are other William Comerys born in Nottinghamshire:

http://search.ancestry.ca/cgi-bin/sse.dll?...nk=0&pgoff=

but if the birthplace is fairly certain he seems to be the one.

Vikki,

To follow-up on Bob C.'s post,

From The Annals of the King's Royal Rifle Corps, Vol. V by Major-General Sir Steuart Hare.

pg. 54 (Chapter III) regarding operations October 26, 1914:

"The orders for the 26th were that the operation of the 25th should be continued. The result was not unlike that of the day before, but there was harder fighting. The progress of the French IX Corps was very slight.

The 2nd Division attacked, but gained no ground, the advance of the 6th Brigade being brought to a standstill by a heavy counter-attack. The Officer Commanding 1st K.R.R.C. had orders to fill a gap between the right of the King's Regiment and the Irish Guards, which gap would occur as these two regiments advanced. As D, the leading company, got clear of Polygon Wood, they came under heavy enfilade fire from rifles and machine guns from the left, and could get no farther. Part of the company got cover in some old trenches, and the remainder dug in where they lay, in a turnip field. The next company, C, came up later on the right of D to fill the gap between it and the Irish Guards. These two companies maintained their position all day. The other two companies, in the afternoon, were moved into Brigade Reserve. The Battalion lost 13 killed, and 34 wounded, nearly all in D Company, including 2nd Lieutenant G. Cronk, 3rd Buffs (attached), killed, Lieutenant E.G.W. Bourke and 2nd Lieutenant K.H. Ward, wounded. At 5 a.m., 27th,

the two companies were relieved, and moved down to a farm in the valley south of Zonnebeke, where the other two companies had already arrived."

Chris

Enlisted circa 1903/04 at a guess, but certainly before 1906.

Many many thanks to all who have replied. . . checked the link for the ancestry/1901 census etc but not sure which is him as it turns out he never married, my Grandfather was born out of wedlock and thats where it gets complicated my Great- Grandmothers name was Elizabeth and we know Great-Grandfather had a brother Richard

• 1 year later...
Rifleman 6349 William Comery Kings royal rifle corps 1st battalion died 26 October 1914 in Ypres France . . . . he is believed to have been born in Basford Nottingham we have no idea of his age or any thing else. . .any friendly advice on finding anymore information would be greatly recieved

That is the same date and regiment that my Great Uncle was in died on.

• 2 weeks later...
Many many thanks to all who have replied. . . checked the link for the ancestry/1901 census etc but not sure which is him as it turns out he never married, my Grandfather was born out of wedlock and thats where it gets complicated my Great- Grandmothers name was Elizabeth and we know Great-Grandfather had a brother Richard

Hello Vikki,

I think my Grandfather Richard Comery was your great grandfathers brother.

Richard died in Nottingham when my mum was 7. He was 39 when he married my Grandma. I think they might have fought together. Any info from you about Richard?

Thanks,

Lyndon Crawley

Hi Vikki and Lyndon

Just had a look on Ancestry for you. There are a whopping 72 pages of service stuff for him 6349 KRRC William Comery (20yrs and 3 months when joined - cant read date of first page but no doubt it is duplicated somewhere along the way) not sure how many pages of stuff there are as a lot I have looked at are duplications........

. if you PM me your email(s) will download and send on.... lucky pair....

Susan.

Edit: looks like 1905 attested......... will download all relevant pages.........

Edit again: There is something strange here. Firstly it says on one page that 6349 KRRC died in Action, then three pages further on it has 6349 KRRC awarded a pension...... will carry on anyway..... Susan.

Edit again: There is something strange here. Firstly it says on one page that 6349 KRRC died in Action, then three pages further on it has 6349 KRRC awarded a pension...... will carry on anyway..... Susan.

PENSION DETAILS 1915

post-8059-1220112514.jpg[

DIED OF INJURIES - IN ACTION:

post-8059-1220112731.jpg

And to prove it was William Comery..... but how pension to be paid - if he was not married? oh well, will download the rest - it may become apparent... or not :D

post-8059-1220113050.jpg

Hi Vikki and Lyndon

Just had a look on Ancestry for you. There are a whopping 72 pages of service stuff for him 6349 KRRC William Comery (20yrs and 3 months when joined - cant read date of first page but no doubt it is duplicated somewhere along the way) not sure how many pages of stuff there are as a lot I have looked at are duplications........

Susan.

Edit: looks like 1905 attested......... will download all relevant pages.........

Hi Vikki and Lyndon

Susan.

The Richard Comery I'm interseted in was born in 1880 (Basford).

Many thanks,

Lyndon.

Just finished downloading. There are at least 43 pages of records for this chap (William) which at a glance make interesting reading. It looks as if this chap was married to an Edith who then remarried a Dickinson. Edith signed for all his medals. So very strange.......

It gives this William's father as George and mother as Emma Elizabeth.

He apparently had two children as well as siblings.

If interest in him still exists please PM your email to me and the records will be emailed to you.

Also there are a few pages for a Richard Comery born 1880 - reg no 4859 KRRC if you would like these, will be happy to download and send on by email (if you PM me).

Regards to you,

Susan.

Lyndon,

Email sent

Regards,

Susan.