Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

David Ross Tittle, Lt, 2nd Royal Dublin Fusiliers

Samoyed

Hello all,

I am new here and thank you for letting ask my questions.

First off, I took the research advice linked here seriously. I have his MIC. I contacted the RDFA (thanks go to Sean Connolly) and the KORR Museum (more thanks to Peter Donnelly). I've looked through a lot of London Gazettes. I've also ordered a reprint of "Crown and Company". (I've seen 1st editions going for $400+ here in the States.)

This is what I know about David Ross Tittle.

Born 8 Mar 1897

Died 16 Aug 1961

17 Feb 1915 - Commissioned as a 2nd Lt in the Royal Dublin Fusiliers

12 Jun 1915 - Entered France with the 2nd Batt.

6 Jul 1915 - wounded

10 Aug 1918 - acting Capt (addtl) to the 1st Batt Connaught Rangers

28 Dec 1918 - relinquished rank of Capt

9 Jun 1919 - MID for service with Egyptian Expeditionary Force

6 Sep 1922 - transferred to the King's Own Royal Regiment

1 Jan 1923 - promoted to Capt

He entered WWII as a Lt Col commanding 1st Batt KORR and then was put in charge of a POW camp in India and then Commandant of Clerks for India because he was unfit to lead his battalion to Iraq.

He retired in 1947 with the honorary rank of Colonel.

What I would like to know about Col Tittle:

What does (addtl) mean when I see it in the London Gazette?

Where was he born? I think he was born in Northern Ireland but that's an educated guess. I've checked census reports but I haven't found a thing.

An idea of what he was doing after he got wounded in 1915 up to the time he transferred to the Rangers in 1918. Why was he transferred to the Rangers? And then, what he was doing with the Rangers in the middle east?

I am thinking of writing the Army Personnel Centre for his records but me not being a relative may have less than favorable results.

My interests in Col Tittle came about because I purchased a Smith & Wesson .455 pistol with his name and original unit inscribed on the back strap. Records at S&W show it was shipped from the factory in Feb 1916. My ultimate plan is to collect copies of the medals he was awarded with the pistol as the centerpiece.

Any assistance would be greatly appreciated. Thank you.

Hello Ryan,

Tall order! I would think addtl. means additional. There are a few Tittles in the Antrim area of Northern Ireland but quite a lot more in England. It might be worth your while contacting the Connaught Rangers Association on their website, they may be able to help. The 1st. Bn. were involved in the Mesopotamia (Iraq) campaign.

Regards,

Ken

Steve, thanks for looking those up. I didn't list all the LG entries I had found for the sake of brevity.

Ken, I will contact the Connaught Ranger folks. Additional meaning attached to the Rangers?

• 7 years later...
Guest Lucinda ash

Dear Ryan

David Ross Tittle was my grandfather (he died before I was born in 1966). My Mother, Elizabeth Middleton (nee Tittle) has lots of information on him and she has copied me some of the information.

Are you still seeking information?

Kind regards

Lucinda Ash

Dear Ryan

David Ross Tittle was my grandfather (he died before I was born in 1966). My Mother, Elizabeth Middleton (nee Tittle) has lots of information on him and she has copied me some of the information.

Are you still seeking information?

Kind regards

Lucinda Ash

Hi Lucinda,

Welcome to the Forum.

It would appear that Ryan Conway was last active on the forum in March 2009, so you most probably will not receive a reply to this posting. It may however be worth your while to post a new topic, asking if anyone has knowledge of how else you may be able to contact him.

Robert

Lucinda

In respect of Ryan's last visit here I should mention that if someone here sends me a Private Message through the Forum it also shows up in my ordinary e-mail account as a pointer.

You could try that ploy,just click on his name on the left side of Post #4 and a screen will invite you to send a message to him. Thus,he should know that he has traffic on the GWF.