Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

1/5th & 2/5th Batts. South Lancs November 30 1917

Trebrys

I'm researching into a man called Griffith H. Brown who according to his memorial at Tyne Cot was with C Coy. 2/5th Batt South Lancs when he was killed on November 30 1917. Now the fact that he's commemorated there suggests he was killed in that vicinty, does it not? Yet the inscription on his family's grave in Wales says that he was "killed in action at Cambrai." How is this so if he's "buried" at Tyne Cot?

I've learnt that the 1/5th South Lancs were wiped out on that day, but that the 2/5th South Lancs were not at the same place. What was the difference between both - sorry for sounding so stupid! Where would the 2/5th South Lancs have been on that day then?

Any help would be gratefully received.

Trebrys.

For more information on the 1/5th and 2/5th South Lancs look at the parent site, the Long Long Trail (link above left) and click on infantry regiments then on South Lancs.

Regards

Farmer

The 1/5th were at Cambrai on that date and the 2/5th were in the Ypres area, which strongly suggests that your man was with the 2/5th at the time of his death.

It may be that he had recently been posted from the 1/5th to the 2/5th though, hence the confusion.

Ken

Iwan

I've found that quite often what a family and friends put in papers etc do not tie in with the events.

EG On the Carnarvonshire Constabulary memorial it states that Sgt 40840 Stephen Evans 10 th RWF was killed in action at Delville Wood. The War Diary shows him at the First the Battle of the Scarpe.

Another example is in the same graveyard at Llandinorwig where a commemoration date is wrong by a year.

Hywyn