Great War Forum

Remembered Today:

andrew pugh

war diary 4th Bn royal Fusiliers 1914-1918

EDWARD1

War Diary reads......

25th Ordered out about 12 noon to retake trenches evacuated by a regiment of the 7th Brigade. Did so but with several casualties 3 Officers 2 killed. Remained in captured  trenches night 25/26th. very wet

26th. 2 coys returned to billets at dawn 26th. 2coys in billets 2 coys in firing line with 7th Brigade. Ordered out with 2 coys about 2pm to support coys in the firing line west of NEUVE CHAPELLE found them heavily engaged  the enemy having occupied some of our trenches. Made a night attack to try and recapture them but failed & had very heavy casualties including  8 officers.

On the 28th the diary states that......only about 8 officers and 350 other ranks left now.

JD2018

I wonder could you please tell me where they were when my great grandfather was killed 

Joseph Alfred Wiltshire 

Killled in france 26 oct 1914

L/12820  "C" Coy 4th Bn Royal Fusiliers

on the La Touret memorial so I am guessing  La Bassée but it would be nice to know for sure 

Also could you have any clue about these soldiers burial would it be france or brought back to UK 

originally from London he was stationed in Dublin and married in Kingstown ( Dun Laoghaire ) 

Many thanks in advance for any help

Edited by JD2018
Add more info

EDWARD1

As you say commemorated on the La Touret memorial therefore either body never recovered, or buried and grave subsequently destroyed in further actions.

The war diary for 26/10/14 is quoted in the post above yours.

Eddie

Edited by EDWARD1

EDWARD1

The Register of Soldiers Effects confirms Le Basse as place of death

JD2018

Thank you ever so much for your reply 

Very kind of you to look it up for me and confirm 

i can now update this part of my family tree

Cheers

John 

James Provis

Dear Andy,

I’m a little late to the party here in 2018 but very interested in the war diary of the 4th Bn Royal Fusiliers specifically on or about the  21st February, 1915.  My great great uncle was killed his name was L/Cpl Herbert FROST    Service number L/11169.    I know very little about him other than where he is buried through the CWGC.   My other 2 great uncles, his brothers were also killed at different times regiments and battles. Right now I am researching Herbert.  If there is any assistance you can provide it would be greatly appreciated.   Thank you 

James 

GraemeClarke

Hi

Welcome to the Forum,

I have this from the WD

18th Feb

In same position. All quiet.  Relieved in evening by 5th Fusiliers. (marched) to billets (in cavalry barracks) YPRES

19th Feb

In cavalry barracks YPRES.

20th Feb

In cavalry barracks YPRES. 9th Brigade transferred to 28th Div to replace 85th Brigade transferred to 3rd Div. This Brigade has only been in the firing line about 10 days but most of the men seem to have gone sick and the rest demoralized.

21st Feb

Marched to new line of trenches south of YPRES and took over from Suffolks.  Bad wet trenches & quite neglected.  Our own dead lying about all over the place. We have buried dozens of them.  A lot of German fire in this section, we had several casualties night of 21st & 22nd.

22nd Feb

Foggy day.  Not much shelling.  Several casualties from rifle fire.

Hope this helps,

Regards,

Graeme

andrew pugh

Hi All

I am sorry to say that I no longer have the war diary for the 4th Battalion Royal Fusiliers City of London Regiment.It seems to have gone awol when we moved. 

Happy New Year to you all

Regards

Andy