Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Geoffrey Malins Somme film

Ken Wayman

The book is to be published by Pen & Sword so don't hold your breath. Lets hope it doesn't drift as far into limbo as their other promised volume on tunnelling.

Keith

• 4 weeks later...

Just bringing this back to the top

The DVD of The Battle of The Somme is released tomorrow, 3 November. On the IWM site it is priced at £19.99, but Amazon have it listed at £12.98

I have just caught a trailer on the Military History Channel and it seems that it is going to be shown on said channel on 11 Nov 08.

Kind regards

Woolly

Mine arrived today, and I feel that something is missing in the presentation of the DVD. The booklet that came with the VHS version of this film is not in the DVD !

There is a link via a website for 'viewing notes' but alas this is just a resume of the life of some of the cameramen involved (Malins etc) and nothing whatsoever about the film.

Whilst I am pleased that it had been released in this format, I am disappointed that the booklet & information about the scenes are missing.

Mick

Mick - acording to the IWM website, the DVD should come with the following -

• An official 36-page booklet with contributions from the Imperial War Museum archive team

• A full orchestral score by Laura Rossi, commissioned by the Imperial War Museum in 2005 and performed for the recording – as it was for the première performance at the Queen Elizabeth Hall in London on 22 October 2006 – by The Philharmonia Orchestra, conducted by Nic Raine.

• A recreation of the medley of light classics, folk tunes, popular songs and military music recommended as an accompaniment for the film in 1916 by cinema musician J. Morton Hutcheson in The Bioscope, a contemporary trade journal. The medley, the subject of several years of research by Dr Toby Haggith of the Imperial War Museum and Stephen Horne, is performed for the DVD by a small ensemble led by the latter.

• Interviews with the composer Laura Rossi and historians

• Missing footage.

So perhaps the booklet is missing from your copy?

Alan

Alan,

I did receive the booklet that is the current DVD release of the film, but it is mainly about the music & musicians !

What I miss (as included in the VHS box) is the 30 page booklet that explains in detail each and every scene.

I had hoped that with all the research done into the film, that more information would have been added to the original summaries to each scene.

What I mean by that is the work done by Alistair Fraser & Andy Robertshaw (and others) that have found the locations used in the filming, worked out what the men are actually saying, and even identified some of the individuals on the film. The inclusion of this information would have been fantastic.

I look forward to the release of their book on the subject.

Mick

I can understand your frustration Mick, I assumed the booklet would be the one from the VHS release. As you say, looking forward to the book

Alan

Its from Pen & Sword I think, so don't hold your breath. I'm still waiting for the tunnelling title promised eons ago.

Keith

Just to clarify: the IWM produced viewing guides in the form of booklets initially for the Somme film and then a combined one for the Somme and Ancre films, written by MacCarthy, Dutton, Badsey, Smither et al. These were a scene by scene commentary on the films. These predate the Robertshaw & Fraser analysis which is apparently forthcoming from Pen & Sword.

Hi chums,

For the record, the IWM viewing guide booklet that "came with" the VHS became an optional extra, needing to be purchased separately, after the two films, 'Battle of the Somme' and 'Battle of the Ancre' were put into a single package as 'Battles of the Somme and Ancre'. For the new DVD edition, rather than publishing and selling the viewing guide as a separate booklet, or trying to squeeze it into the DVD packaging as an extra, the Imperial War Museum is making the sort of information it contained available as downloadable PDF files on its website. A shot-by-shot breakdown - actually at a higher level of detail than that provided in the original booklet, with timings taken from the DVD, and with some of the additional information that will be more fully available when the Fraser/Robertshaw/Roberts book is published next year - can be downloaded now. Other resources will be added in the next few weeks. Go to:-

www.iwm.org.uk/somme-film

Hope this helps,

Pete