Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Geoffrey Malins Somme film

Ken Wayman

I know that I should be aware of the answer but can anyone tell me whether the Malins film has been transferred to DVD?

Regards

Ken

I saw somewhere that it was to be remastered and launced on DVD in October this year. I sent the IWM an e-mail asking about this but got no reply. I noted that their shop was not showing it as for sale!!

Mick D

I saw somewhere that it was to be remastered and launced on DVD in October this year. I sent the IWM an e-mail asking about this but got no reply. I noted that their shop was not showing it as for sale!!

Mick D

Appreciate the info Mick.

Ken

Ken - I heard the History Channel were showing it (an edited version?) on 11 Nov. I hope my info is right because I have been telling other people about this. Again, as I understand it, IWM will be releasing it in the very bear future on dvd.

Hot off the press is that a team of researchers are compiling a book identifying characters shown in the film, what they were saying into the camera, where Malins and Brooks (the still camera man) were standing when filming/photographing, what is real and what was contrived/fake film etc. I have no idea when the book is due out but I believe there is still a long way to go.

If I put "Somme" into History Channel on line guide it doesnt suggest this film is being shown. I know the channel sponsored the showing at the Festival Hall (?) last month and that that would suggest the History Channel is going to show it. It might depend on when the DVD is released by the IWM. Apologies if this proves to be misleading info on the showing.

Jonathan,

Just checked my SKY+ planner and could not find the IWM film The Somme, but did find the following -

ch4 sat 11/11/06 The Somme - a docu-drama (not the Malins film unless badly listed !!!)

Disc. Civilisation sat 11/11/06 + 12/11/06 finding the fallen, 5 episodes covering 1 Ypres, 2 Serre, 3 Loos, 4 Beaumont Hamel, 5 Passchendaele

History channel - sat 12/11 gas hell at Ypres

History channel - sat 12/11 digging up the trenches ( Ypres archeology)

History channel - sat 12/11 first & last (casualties of WW1)

Mick D

Jonathan,

Just checked my SKY+ planner and could not find the IWM film The Somme, but did find the following -

ch4 sat 11/11/06 The Somme - a docu-drama (not the Malins film unless badly listed !!!)

Disc. Civilisation sat 11/11/06 + 12/11/06 finding the fallen, 5 episodes covering 1 Ypres, 2 Serre, 3 Loos, 4 Beaumont Hamel, 5 Passchendaele

History channel - sat 12/11 gas hell at Ypres

History channel - sat 12/11 digging up the trenches ( Ypres archeology)

History channel - sat 12/11 first & last (casualties of WW1)

Mick D

Mick - Ive definitely seen some flyer on the Hsitory Channel for this. It could have been a "coming to the Hsitory Channel soon".

It is an excellent film - I have been fortunate to see it all the way through once. If anyone can get to the National Army Museum then I know they are showing part, if not all, of it as part of their Somme exhibition. It is about 80 minutes long as I recall.

What I am really looking forward to is the Andy Robertshaw et al book of the film.

Ken - I heard the History Channel were showing it (an edited version?) on 11 Nov. I hope my info is right because I have been telling other people about this. Again, as I understand it, IWM will be releasing it in the very bear future on dvd.

Hot off the press is that a team of researchers are compiling a book identifying characters shown in the film, what they were saying into the camera, where Malins and Brooks (the still camera man) were standing when filming/photographing, what is real and what was contrived/fake film etc. I have no idea when the book is due out but I believe there is still a long way to go.

Sounds good to me!

In respect of the book you mention, wasn't there a recent TV programme that dealt with just that topic? Unfortunately, with my aging memory I can't for the life of me remember what it was called or which channel screened it!

Regards

Ken

There was a tv documentary that I didnt see, which was on Ch 5. I believe it covered or focused on researching the film. If anyone has a copy and a recordable dvd ...

EDITED: Ken - apologies I meant to quote you. This is in part in response to your post above.

Avril Williams was recently off post (Avril on holiday???) when she was invited to London to hear the music being recorded to go with the film.

This suggests that it is to be shown soon.

Bruce

The Ch4 docu-drama to be shown on 11/11/06 is listed as a repeat by the Sunday Times weekly TV Guide so I'd imagine that it's a repeat of the programme shown about a year ago which had a mixed reception on this website. It's the one that featured the Manchester Regt, including Sgt, later Prof. Tawney & had Rawlinson played by a Scotsman with no moustache.

I saw about 2/3rds of the Ch5 programme on the Malins film but don't have it recorded. Andy Robertshaw was leading the investigations so the results will presumably be the same as in his forthcoming book, which I didn't know about until Jonathan mentioned it. They tried with limited success to identify men in the Malins film using police facial recognition software. Use of lip readers didn't produce anything startling but indicated that the men were doing things for real, not just for the cameras; the wounded man being carried swore, the NCO supervising the loading of crates was counting them & the officer in the trenches said something like 'we're ready to go.' They were able to work out where Malins was when he filmed some shots, including the long shot of troops advancing under fire.

I think that the History Channel is sponsoring a showing of the Malins film at the IWM (or possibly the NAM) on 11/11/06 & it's on the HC later in the month.

chaps,

I believe I have had an idea, how about listing what WW1 programs are to be broadcast, I usually notice the Sky ones but always miss the terrestrial channels, seems like ch5 shows a few !

Mick D

... & it's on the HC later in the month.

music to my ears!

Also good idea about listing ww1-interest tv and radio. I miss far too much.

I know that I should be aware of the answer but can anyone tell me whether the Malins film has been transferred to DVD?

Regards

Ken

PM Me... :D

Have seen the Documentary on first and last Casualtys before,if its the one i am thinking of,it is made by Canadian TV.If i had to award it Points out of Ten i would give it Three.

Jon

Didn't Steve Badsey write a book on the film? I seem to remember him holding up the book at Canterbury when we saw the film.

Mick

Jon

Didn't Steve Badsey write a book on the film? I seem to remember him holding up the book at Canterbury when we saw the film.

Mick

Mick

I think the Robertshaw volume will go into much greater detail - trying to identify the individual (the officer. teh CSM, the Cpl etc) as well as giving you a then and now to prove where teh shots were taken from and also when they were taken ie. 28 June, 29 June, 1 July etc.

The Badsey book was written with Chris McCarthy and someone else and I think it was more to do with the impact of the film and its place in the social history. I am not sure that it went beyond identifying De Lisle on horseback and Div/Rgts by insignia but I might be wrong and would appreciate anyone with the book correcting me.

We are due for a beer soon.

Jon

I spoke to the IWM today, to confirm when or if this film is to be released onto DVD, the response was that "they have nothing to do with that anymore".

I was then told to contact DD entertainment who have the rights to it. They in turn state that it is being looked at and to recontact them in 2 months. I was told that the production team are working on it, but as yet no definite as to what format or extras will be included!

Mick D

I spoke to the IWM today, to confirm when or if this film is to be released onto DVD, the response was that "they have nothing to do with that anymore".

I was then told to contact DD entertainment who have the rights to it. They in turn state that it is being looked at and to recontact them in 2 months. I was told that the production team are working on it, but as yet no definite as to what format or extras will be included!

Mick D

Well it's only been ninety years - what's another few years between friends?!

Ken

If you have an Athens account (given to students at universities, including the Open University), then you can download it from IWM collection at

http://www.filmandsound.ac.uk/

Kate

If you have an Athens account (given to students at universities, including the Open University), then you can download it from IWM collection at

http://www.filmandsound.ac.uk/

Kate

Thanks for the info Kate but my student days were back in the Sixties!! Probably explains a lot!

Cheers

Ken

Thanks for the info Kate but my student days were back in the Sixties!! Probably explains a lot!

Cheers

Ken

So were mine (well 70s and 80s actually!). Worth signing up to the OU to do a short course just to get some of the student benefits such as an athens account. Although once signed up, you'll never leave. I signed up for one short course 3 years ago and got hooked - next year will be my finally year doing my BA in history.

Best course of all was the course I did this year (1914-1955) - excellent course with an excellent Summer School. You're never too old - the oldest two people on the course this year are in their mid 80s!

Kate

So were mine (well 70s and 80s actually!). Worth signing up to the OU to do a short course just to get some of the student benefits such as an athens account. Although once signed up, you'll never leave. I signed up for one short course 3 years ago and got hooked - next year will be my finally year doing my BA in history.

Best course of all was the course I did this year (1914-1955) - excellent course with an excellent Summer School. You're never too old - the oldest two people on the course this year are in their mid 80s!

Kate

Very tempting but I'm doing a lot of research and writing on my favourite subject (guess what!) - I'd never get my assignments in on time! Just like when I was at school.

Regards

Ken

• 5 months later...

Bringing this back to the top of the list - any news of the Andy Robertshaw book?

Pals,

When I bought my video copy of the Somme film (the one in the orangey box) it came with a very detailed booklet, with a lot of information about the content of each scene. The later re-issues, including the double-issue from the IWM when it was combined with the film of The Battle of the Ancre, didn't include this booklet. I realise that it is not what is referred to by Jonathan, but many later buyers of the video might not be aware of the existance of the booklet.

Regards

Steve