Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Scots photo I.D.

Verent

HLI?

Hello,

I would say Highland Light Infantry as well. The badge is the correct size and shape and he is also wearing a two piece shoulde title, ie, HLI with a Bugle above. I cannot think of another Scottish unit which would wear a badge of this size and shape with a shoulder title this shape and made up of two parts.

Regards,

Stewart

Looks like HLI and is that a hackle above it, looks like 1930's period.

Rob

Concur with the above, HLI :)

As Stewart mentioned, if you look at the photo with a magnifying glass or do a high definition scan, you should be able to make out a stringed Light Infantry Bugle Horn above the Letters HLI

Rob I still reckon it is 1917 to 1920, as the chap has no collar badges?

Aye

Tom McC

Hi Tom,

You are probably right on date will have a shufty in one of the old Regimental Journals and see if we have any period old and bold photos.

Cheers,

Rob

Concur with the above, HLI :)

As Stewart mentioned, if you look at the photo with a magnifying glass or do a high definition scan, you should be able to make out a stringed Light Infantry Bugle Horn above the Letters HLI

Rob I still reckon it is 1917 to 1920, as the chap has no collar badges?

Aye

Tom McC

Thanks for replies. Friends.

It is WWI, he was in both HLI and Cameronians but I did not know which uniform he was wearing. Was the Bugle Horn the same for all enlisted men or did it differ with the job they were trained for?

Regards

The Bugle horn was part of the Regimental badge as they were Light Infantry, if you look at the other Regiments like the Somerset LI, KOYLI you will see the bugle features, even today it is the badge of the Light Infantry.

In the Case of the Cameronians they had the horn that you coudn't blow, theirs was a powder horn- can't remember their story but apparantly they as Covernanters were massacred at church and from then on went armed into church along with posting pickets on the high ground as sentries.

Cheers,

Rob