The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Uniform-Regiment Identification

Can someone please help identify this uniform and regiment. The person is Capt Joseph Patrick (names may be reversed) Anderson and he served in the cavalry in the Indian Army. This photo was taken in 1908. He was posted to France where he died about 1918.

Thank you, Irene

mooredi@bigpond.com

post-16364-1162623975.jpg

CWGC link Irene, do you have anything else? The photo is difficult - impossible - to identify, as the uniform could be identified from a colour picture, but not black and white (except possibly by a real expert - there may be one out there).

The only CWGC entry under the correct name and initial is the link at the start of this post; he died in India in 1920.

Sorry. Steve

Thank you for that Steve,

We were told that Joseph did a stint in France and died there but as we know that could be wrong. I guess we do have to try and find out the name of the next of kin of this person to see if he matches. Our Joseph Patrick Anderson married a lady called Mary and they had four children. She was supposed to die in 1919, after him, leaving the children as orphans. As well we were told that he was a Captain, again it may have been a temporary promotion.

Unfortunately the photo is not in colour but it is fairly distinctive so maybe someone will have the answer, we can live in hope.

Irene

Could this be him?

London Gazette 14-1-1919

To be temp. Quartermaster, with the hon. rank of Lieut, while serving with the Indian Defence Force.

Joseph Patrick Anderson, from Connaught Rgrs. 1st Apl. 1918.

http://www.gazettes-online.co.uk/archiveVi...;selHonourType=

Steve.

Odd. The picture has to be pre-war, surely? I cannot imagine that a post-war promoton, into a general service unit would have time to have a photo of quite such grandness.

I've played with the photo - hope it attaches OK. The Kurta (jacket) is a dark colour - either blue or green; the Kummerband (waist belt) is ornate but paler - possibly even yellow or gold-coloured; the headdress (Lungi) is ornate too, and appears to lack a Kullah (pointed cap underneath), so would rule out a Jat or Mussulman unit.

Max is right, it is a lovely photo...just a shame we can't i.d. it :(

post-6673-1162643589.jpg

I agree, Steven.

I had posted before I realised it was only pre-war service in India.

I think we have a Red Herring with the 1920 man.

Steve.

Thank you for that Steve,

We were told that Joseph did a stint in France and died there but as we know that could be wrong. I guess we do have to try and find out the name of the next of kin of this person to see if he matches. Our Joseph Patrick Anderson married a lady called Mary and they had four children. She was supposed to die in 1919, after him, leaving the children as orphans. As well we were told that he was a Captain, again it may have been a temporary promotion.

Unfortunately the photo is not in colour but it is fairly distinctive so maybe someone will have the answer, we can live in hope.

Irene

This could be an ADCs uniform.

Rob

A search of Ancestry's Indian Army List shows several Andersons in the 33rd Light Cavalry, but no Patricks,

Macclesfield Haptinstall

William Henniker

John Faulkener Henniker in the 31st Lancers

There is another (Reginald Hugh) in Probyn's Horse.

I'll have to check my sources to see if the uniform details match.

John and William were brothers, and in 1891 were boarding in England, which means their father and mother were still in India. No Josephs or Patricks with them, but I'll need to check the 1901 census to be sure.

• 3 years later...

I KNOW WHO THIS IS.

It has just taken me three years to remember. Unfortunately it may not be the best news for the original poster

The gentleman in question is Macclesfield Heptinstall Anderson, not Capt Joseph Patrick Anderson, who ever he was.

Major Macclesfield Heptinstall " Mackie" Anderson, 33rd Queen Victoria's Own Light Cavalry killed in an ambush in Mesopotamia 29th April 1915

Born 11th December 1872, eldest son of Gen. Sir Horace Searle Anderson, K.C.B., Indian Army and Lady Anderson (nee Woods), of Seercroft, Faygate, West Sussex.

He had a younger brother, Edward Sambroke John Anderson born 22nd August 1876 who also served in the Indian Army, intially with the 23rd Outram’s Rifles then transferred to the Military Accounts Department for the rest of his career, retiring a Lieut-Colonel in December 1925. He died in 1941

A copy of this photograph appears opposite page 36 in volume 2 of the "the Poona Horse".

Another picture of M. H. here - http://www.durhamrecordoffice.org.uk/recor...0256F57004E0EC8

His father:

General Sir Horace Searle Anderson, K.C.B .(1906) (C.B. 1887), late Bombay Staff Corps, Indian Army

Born 10 September 1833.

Married 1st 1862 to Alice Waters (d. 1863), y. d. of late George Augustus Woods of Balladoole, Isle ofMan.; 2nd 1867 to Marian, y.d. of late Thomas S. Heptinstall of Llanmilo, Carmarthens; two sons, three daughters. Entered army, 1850; General 1896; served Persian Expedition, 1857 (medal with clasp); India, 1858-59; Afghan war, 1878-80, (severely wounded, despatches, medal); Burmese Expedition, 1885-87 (despatches, C. B., clasp). Died 2nd June 1907.

Lady Anderson died on the 27th July 1909

Matthew

• 1 year later...

His entry on the CWGC Debt of Honour, although the spelling of his first name is wrong.

I wonder how it is spelt on the Tehran Memorial ?

Name: ANDERSON, MACELESFIELD HEPTINSTALL

Initials: M H

Nationality: Indian

Regiment/Service: 33rd Queen Victoria's Own Light Cavalry

Date of Death: 29/04/1915

Additional information: Son of Gen. Sir Horace Searle Anderson, K.C.B., I.S.C., Indian Army and Lady Anderson (nee Woods), of Seercroft, Faygate, W. Sussex.

Casualty Type: Commonwealth War Dead

Grave/Memorial Reference: Panel 8. Column 1.

Memorial: TEHRAN MEMORIAL