Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Hospitals in Ireland for soldiers

Jackie

Does anybody know where the records of the Leopardstown Park Hotel and the International Hotel, which was very near to it, might be? They were both used for injured soldiers returning to Dublin in WW1.

I am trying to track down my Grandad, and have been told he spent some time there, probably about 1917. Apparently it was when he was recovering from malaria.

If I can track down the records I can maybe find out his regiment, so that I can start my research proper.

Thanks

Jackie

Hello Jackie,

As far as I am aware the hospital is still there, or at least it was a few years ago. I just might be able to help as a relative of mine was nursing there at one time in her career.

Kind regards,

Ken

That's great Ken - thanks. Do you know anything about the hospital in WW1? Do you know if they still hold their own records, or if they were sent to Kew? Anything would be a help.

Thanks

Jackie

(ps - originally from Dublin as well!)

Jackie, to tell you the honest truth, I know very little about the hospital myself . I do know that the last of the verterans died there just a few years ago. I would strongly suspect that their records are available but I can't be sure.

If from Dublin, how could you confuse Leopardstown with Bray? You must have come from the North side.... as I do. (Smile)

Kind regards,

Ken

• 1 month later...

actually I would also be interested because my grandfather was wounded in 1916 and spent six weeks on leave in Dublin where he lived. I wonder if all Irish soldiers went to Leopardstown??. I also had a reletive who worked there some years ago.