Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

What happens with the Poppy Money?

Billy Green

Billy,

The money from the appeal goes on Royal British Legion welfare schemes. To be eligible the recipient needs to have done 7 days service in HM forces. Because the organisation includes dependents, the type of need can be absolutely anything, literally a cradle to grave welfare organisation. For immediate needs the clients are means tested and those under the threshold can receive help with virtually anything. This can range from white and brown goods, mobility aids, home adaptations, vocational training, removal expenses for separated families, benefits advice and help with rent and debt payments. Because by definition a charity deals with those vulnerable members of society, those in need can include those unfortunate enough to be homeless or serving in HM prisons. Whatever the need the legion can and does usually help.

Glenn

I have seen numerous recent posts regarding purchasing poppies and I have always bought at least one poppy leading up to Remembrance Sunday. However as the money raised does not go to the upkeep of war graves I recently wondered what happens with all these millions of pounds presumably raised because of this appeal?

Billy

Billy.

I don't know the exact percentages but a good proportion of the people you see sleeping rough on our streets will be ex service personnel and a good proportion of them will also have mental health problems.

The RBL at least tries to alleviate this problem.

A £1 in the tin is a £1 well spent!

Neil

I have seen numerous recent posts regarding purchasing poppies and I have always bought at least one poppy leading up to Remembrance Sunday. However as the money raised does not go to the upkeep of war graves I recently wondered what happens with all these millions of pounds presumably raised because of this appeal?

Billy

Ex service personnel dumped by the Government they served (and thei :angry: r dependents). They helped me fight the government for an increase on my war pension.

stevem

Thank you for the responses, very interesting, I didn’t quite appreciate it went on such a disparate range of modern wants and needs.

Billy

When I was a lad the centre black stud had Earl Haig's Fund on it as I recall. And I read somewhere that there is a difference between the Scottish and English poppies. Was it two set's of leaves in Scotland whilst only one set in England (and presumably elsewhere in the UK)? Does anyone remember or am I off track?

Guest KevinEndon

Your are right Jim. The Scottish poppy is redder with no stem or leaf and made of a different material than the RBL poppy. The centre of the Scottish poppy still has Haig Fund on it but in tiny lettering compaired to the old style. Although the two differ they still do the same jobs. A, to show a mark or rememberance and B, to raise funds to help the needs of all those who served their country one way or another.

Kevin

When I was a lad the centre black stud had Earl Haig's Fund on it as I recall. And I read somewhere that there is a difference between the Scottish and English poppies. Was it two set's of leaves in Scotland whilst only one set in England (and presumably elsewhere in the UK)? Does anyone remember or am I off track?

Jim,

See my avattar which is for Remembrance time, 18th October to 12th November. The one with the leaf is English, the four petal one is the Scottish.

Aye

Malcolm

You should have stood as an MP steve they say pension provision is much better for them that have to burn the midnight oil in Downing St mate !!