Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Lots of Photographs

jocktamson

MGC photos; looks like the first one is MGC infantry and the second MGC cavalry by the bandolier.

Good photos and thanks for posting them.

I agree with cavalry. Look he's wearing spurs

can anyone identify the uniform for me please,I have four or five,many thanks :D

post-14215-1162602087.jpg

Hi Jock,

1. Is a piper in the Highland Light Infantry.

2. Machine Gun Corps

3. Machine Gun Corps.

4. Not sure?

5. From shoulder titles Royal Scots.

Cheers,

Rob

Rob,thank you very much for taking the time........

Its a pleasure-had a look at photo 3 again, left sleeve as we look at him could that be a wound stripe? He certainly has the dead eyes on the Front.

Cheers,

Rob

MGC photos; looks like the first one is MGC infantry and the second MGC cavalry by the bandolier.

Good photos and thanks for posting them.

Great photos. The HLI piper appears to have a very nice set of Pipes, I wouldnt imagine that these were an army issue set, anyone any thoughts on that?

Ian

thanks folks,any one got any idea of the regiment that the chap with the pith helmet is wearing??

thanks folks,any one got any idea of the regiment that the chap with the pith helmet is wearing??

Hi I can't help you, but why don't you forward the photograph to the Imperial War Museum, they are very helpful.

La Pettsy

Hi Jock,

Had another look at the chap in the pith helmet we have a badge or flash on the side and the shoulder badges look to be RAF or Naval. Could he have served with the Naval armoured cars?

Just another winger.

Cheers,

Rob

Not necessarily. (Especially as it looks like the same man?) Members of MGC company transport sections wore bandoliers, regardless of branch. Unless he has an MGC/C title (not distinguishable) the jury has to be out.

Agree, nice pics. But I can't see a wound stripe on Pic 3, I'm afraid.

Hi Phil,

Wound stripe photo 2 left sleeve as we look at it.

Cheers,

Rob

That's the wrong sleeve for a wound stripe providing the negative hasn't been reversed (and the lanyard looks on the correct side).

Can't see any wound stripes or other badges, full stop.

Steve.

Well the defence case rests, Im'e off to clean my specs. :(

Rob

These are super photos......Just in case you weren't aware, there is message board on http://www.rootschat.com

that is dedicated to repairing restoring and cleaning old precious photos that are damaged... Iff you would like them repairing, try posting them on there ... They are all very helpful... cheers

Polldoll

Hello,

Great photo of a piper. I think he is a Piper of a Territorial Battalion of the HLI. The reason for this is because there are a number of uniform badges and equipment details which do not correspond to that worn by either the 1st or 2nd Battalion, up to 1914 anyway. The 2nd Battalion tended to wear the Elephant badge on their waist belts and sporran cantle, they also never wore an HLI badge on the Baldrick belt. The 1st Bn. did, but they had a sporran with 3 black tassels and also there waist and baldrick belt buckles were of a different pattern. Also when you look at how the piper is dress you will notice his waist belt is riding up his plaid is not very neat and his collar is a bit slack, Regular pipers always look a lot smarter than this. All this makes me think he is a Territorial. I'm not saying he is scruffy, just not as well turned out as a regular would be. It's a great photo.

Regards,

Stewart