Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Drv W Ellis 312th Brigade West Riding ~ Brothers

Woodsc

Hi Everyone

I recently received a lot of help from members relating to information on Drv W Ellis

I have now identified from a census he had two brothers who were soldiers ~ Richard Ellis and Harry Ellis. At the start of the war Richard Ellis would have been 28 and Harry would have been 26

One of them was wounded and was sent to North Shields ~ thats all I have

Can anyone please give some guidance as to where I need to start in identifying the regiments they served in etc

Any help would be appreciated

Regards...Colin

Simon

Thanks for the suggestion ~ I'll have a look but considering I don't know the regiment they were in ~ I suspect there will be a number of soldiers with the same names ~ I'll come back to you with my findings

Regards...Colin

Try looking up (free) and then downloading (for £3.50) their Medal Index Cards from the National Archives website.

Part of the NAs 'documents online' prog. and really the best place to start.

Then come back here and we'll decipher it for you!

Simon R

Had a look in National Archive there are lots of soldiers with the names Richard Ellis and Harry Ellis ~ some are listed from the West Riding, West Yorkshire, and some fron RFA and obviously loads of other regiments

Considering all three brothers came from Barnoldswick would it be possible they were all in the West Riding RFA ???

Regards...Colin

Entirely possible!

Have you tried CWGC? Just in case....

Absent voters list for the area could be another way in. The one for Leeds is good (and indexed) but I suspect Barnoldswick is more Bradford (?).......

......one cup of coffee later...... this all seems remarkably familiar to me, I may have read something about the Ellis brothers in the wartime Wharfedale & Airedale Obs., certainly the 'three brothers' line for a number of families, if not them specifically.

I'll have a look and get back to you, but warning this may just be a figment of my big fat, stupid head.

Simon.

I can't find any refs. in my copies of the W&AO - I think a best bet for you would be to take the long, long trail through the back-copies of the paper on micro-film at Leeds library. There are numerous refs. to all and sundry in there. Dates of enlistment are useful for searching (the 'three/four/five brothers enlisted in same regt.' headline is very common), maybe dates of one of them being wounded etc. Photos are common in the paper and it's worth a look.

Sorry I couldn't be any more help!

I can't find any refs. in my copies of the W&AO - I think a best bet for you would be to take the long, long trail through the back-copies of the paper on micro-film at Leeds library. There are numerous refs. to all and sundry in there. Dates of enlistment are useful for searching (the 'three/four/five brothers enlisted in same regt.' headline is very common), maybe dates of one of them being wounded etc. Photos are common in the paper and it's worth a look.

Sorry I couldn't be any more help!

Simon

Thank you for trying

Regards...Colin