Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Thomas Sheehy DCM MM

Chris_Baker

This is a real puzzle. Any info would be valuable.

The Medal Index Card and Medal Roll shows that Thomas Sheehy was in the ASC/RASC. He was definitely in 972 Company RASC in Palestine in 1920. He qualified for the British War Medal and Victory Medal only. We know the medal documents are for the right man, because his regimental number agrees with a postcard in the family's possession. His service papers are not available as he continued to serve after 1920.

Yet the family have a photo of him wearing the DCM, MM, a 1914 or 1914-15 Star with oak leaf, and a Croix de Guerre with 2 Stars, and they believe he had been in the Royal Irish Fusiliers in Gallipoli and France!

I searched the medal index cards for the DCM and MM - no mention.

I've done the quick search on the London Gazette website, and no mention of him (although I have to say that I don't entirely trust the search engine on that site).

I don't believe any battalion of the Fusiliers served in Gallipoli and France.

Could anyone with any knowledge of the Fusiliers, or anyone with info on DCM awards or mentions in despatches kindly look him up?

He was Thomas P Sheehy. Came from Dublin.

Chris

I have checked through the whole of R W Walkers book Recipients of the D.C.M. 1914 -1920 for the name Sheehy - there are none.

Are the family sure that the photo is that of their relative?

I have a group of medals for WW2 showing service in the RN, and the chap has a photo of himself wearing the ribbon for 39-45 star to which he was not entitled! Possibilities are that he borrowed the uniform for the photo for whatever reason, or that he deliberately "awarded" himself this medal.

Hope this helps

Regards

Andrew

Thanks Andrew

The thought had occurred to me too, I must say. Thank you very much for confirming his complete absence from "Recipients of the DCM".

Chris

Would it have been possible for Thomas Sheehy to have served under another name with the Royal Irish Fusiliers, then discharged due to wounds ?, and then re-enlisted later under his real family name ? Does the Medal Index Card and Medal Roll shows when he joined the ASC/RASC.

Annette

Just to say he wasn't with the Dubs I have only come across one Sheehy in the regiment and he was an officer MID. If he was a Dub he should be mentioned in the Papers etc. which he isn't.

Conor

Sorry I forgot to put this in the last message there was a picture of my great great uncle in the newspapers looking for any information and it said he served in Gallipoli but he was in the 2nd Batt. RDF which never went to Gallipoli and also it almost always happens that when you get information from a family (in my own experiance) that the family say that the man in question was somewhere he wasn't I presume it is 4th or 5th hand information and it has been mixed up. :blink:

Conor

• 7 years later...
This is a real puzzle. Any info would be valuable.

The Medal Index Card and Medal Roll shows that Thomas Sheehy was in the ASC/RASC. He was definitely in 972 Company RASC in Palestine in 1920. He qualified for the British War Medal and Victory Medal only. We know the medal documents are for the right man, because his regimental number agrees with a postcard in the family's possession. His service papers are not available as he continued to serve after 1920.

Yet the family have a photo of him wearing the DCM, MM, a 1914 or 1914-15 Star with oak leaf, and a Croix de Guerre with 2 Stars, and they believe he had been in the Royal Irish Fusiliers in Gallipoli and France!

I searched the medal index cards for the DCM and MM - no mention.

I've done the quick search on the London Gazette website, and no mention of him (although I have to say that I don't entirely trust the search engine on that site).

I don't believe any battalion of the Fusiliers served in Gallipoli and France.

Could anyone with any knowledge of the Fusiliers, or anyone with info on DCM awards or mentions in despatches kindly look him up?

He was Thomas P Sheehy. Came from Dublin.

I am wondering if the thomas p sheehy you have been looking into is my grandfather. as my grandfathers name was thomas p sheehy and was in portobello in 1932 when my mother was born. i have very little information about him and would be intrested to learn more.

if i can be of any help please ask.