Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

information about death of Uncle 1st WW

mauricio

I would appreciate any advice about finding info in respect of the death of my Uncle. I was told that he died on the first day of the battle of the Somme. I have searched the the CWGC site and the medals cards without any luck. His name was James Black and he lived in Belfast. I am afraid I have not got his number or regiment although the odds are that he was in an Irish Regiment as opposed to Royal Artillery etc.

Can anyone suggest another avenue for me to search?

Regards

Mauricio

could he be James Delgety Black ? He was from Belfast - died of wounds 19/8/16

Ian

Hi Mauricio, :)

Welcolme to the forum. Hopefully we can help you out.

I have checked Soldiers Died in the Great War and unfortunately there doesn't appear to be a James Black who died on 1-7-16, also the only James Black that appears to have been killed during the battle of the Somme period July/November 1916 with a Belfast connection died of wounds in the Ypres sector.

This doesn't mean that what you have been told is untrue as SDGW is not complete. So hopefully one of the other pals can help you out.

Good luck and sorry I can't be of more help.

Cheers

Tim.

could he be James Delgety Black ? He was from Belfast - died of wounds 19/8/16

Ian

Hi Ian, :)

He is the one that I refered to but he is buried up at Ration Farm near Ypres. Another thing, is that he was in 8th Royal Irish Rifles and they left the Somme on 11-7-16 for Ypres and never returned !

Cheers

Tim.

Mauricio.

Welcome to the forum.

The only James Black I could see from that period was this guy.

He was in a Special Brigade of the Royal Engineers (I think they dealt with gas) and Bertrancourt (where he is buried) is on the Somme and was used by field ambulances. He was killed on 26 June 1916 which, while not the first day of the Somme offensive was in the first week of the artillery barrage that preceeded it. The medal index card at the National Archive shows he was a 'James'.

Click here

The trouble is it also shows he was in the Scots Guards before being in the Engineers. While this does not rule him out entirely it makes it less likely he is your relative.

Neil

Hi Neil, :)

Unfortunately SDGW doesn't give his place of birth. It just states:-

Enlisted Peebles.

Residence Portobello, Co. Edinburgh.

Died of Wounds.

Cheers

Tim.

I would appreciate any advice about finding info in respect of the death of my Uncle. I was told that he died on the first day of the battle of the Somme. I have searched the the CWGC site and the medals cards without any luck. His name was James Black and he lived in Belfast. I am afraid I have not got his number or regiment although the odds are that he was in an Irish Regiment as opposed to Royal Artillery etc.

Can anyone suggest another avenue for me to search?

Regards

Mauricio

Many thanks to everyone for their help. I dont think any of those mentioned are the James I am looking for but it is possible that someone will be able to help. One other item I can add, although it is only a guess. He was from the Shankill Road and was probably with the 36th(Ulster) Division. Maybe someone is searching in that area. Thanks again to everybody for trying.

Mauricio

There is a J. Black listed on the Strandtown War Memorial on the Belmont Road, Belfast. Unfortunately as both names are very ‘common’ and his regiment isn’t listed it is difficult to be more precise.

Shankill Road man James Black died 15th Irish Rifles (North Belfast).Lived in Cambrai street.Not on the sdgw disc...but on a local war memorial....have photo if needed

Didnt sign the covenant but his family did.

Thanks markinbelfast,

You have hit the jackpot. My Uncle lived at 237 Cambrai Street. So the memorial you mentioned would be to him. I would appreciate a copy of the photo please and let me know any expenses you have to get it. I am over the moon as I have searched for info about this uncle since I started researching my family history. I was born in 1933, and never knew his parents( my GP's) and only met 4 out of family of 8. So his death was only passed on by word of mouth. The only info I had was that he was killed on the 1st day of the Somme.

Thanks again,

Maurice.

black-1.jpg

Remember the cwgc and that disc have holes in them....

blacknotice.jpg

Hello Markinbelfast,

Thanks for the photos of the memorials. The Robert Black above my uncle was my Father. I am sorry to bother you again but would you let me know where these memorals are.

Thanks

Maurice Black

I cannot see him at all on CWGC though - or am I being dense?

Neil

Thanks Neil. He isn't on CWCG. But I have had some good news and have at last pinned down my elusive uncle on some local memorials.

Regards

Maurice Black