Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Captain Ewen J. Brodie 1st Cameron Highlanders

nilis11

Planning my Ypres trip for this year.

I would like to visit the private memorial to Captain Ewen J. Brodie 1st Cameron Highlanders, He was KIA 11/11/1914.

Does some of you have more information on the (Army) life and death of this officer?

Waht happened with the 1st Camerons in the period October/November 1914?

Is a picture available?

Thanks

Nilis

His memorial is in Glencourse wood which was the next wood to Nonne Boschen. He was killed in the Battle of Nonne Boschen (Nun's Wood). His brother Walter won the VC on the same day in the same battle. He was in the 2nd Bn HLI. I actually visited the village were Walter was killed in 1918 a couple of weeks ago.

The Battle on the 11th was a final assault by the Prussian Guard and began at 9am after a two hour artillery barrage. I think Brodie is buried in Zillebeke churchyard - seem to remember noticing it when I visited.

I would think that he was actually killed close to Black Watch corner.

stevem

Hi

Here is the entry for this officer from Volume 1 of the Harrow School Roll of Honour which gives a little more information.

Regards

Ian

• 5 months later...
His brother Walter won the VC on the same day in the same battle. He was in the 2nd Bn HLI.

Can anyone confirm that Walter Lorrain Brodie and Ewen James Brodie were infact brothers.

I can't find it anywhere else..

Thanks

Nilis