Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

In Great War circles

6th Shropshires

Hi Annette,

It's interesting that you have brought this up, and a topic that Sue Light and I have discussed before. Although, I speak only for myself.

I'm sorry to hear that some male members have made you feel this way, I just cannot understand it, as you really are so knowledgeable about the KSLI. You would be the first person I would turn to if I had an enquiry. As Sue would be, if I wanted to ask about nurses, Kate would be if I wanted to ask about musicians, and surely Gwyn could help anyone wishing to improve their enunciation!

I have been cross before, when I have felt that I haven't been listened to, but then again I don't think I have probably helped the 'female cause' at times. The pink trousers I have to say, were only ever mentioned as a means of identification, at the NA one Saturday back in 2003 I think? For some reason this was 'picked' up on. On the plus side, I have done so many lookups at the NA for forum members, held a couple of MIC days, so I do hope that I am taken seriously. I have a fun and very friendly side, thats me off the forum too, but I am absolutely serious about my research. I absolutely love it, and that is my sort of corner or interest in WW1.

Something I always think to myself, is that female members are most welcomed by the boss! He has me in his research team, and Alison and Kate in his moderating team. That says it all really! Don't let the few get you down Annette, however frustrating. I've met many lovely male forum members, who have been very kind to me. (Harters included!)

Thanks to Jon and Cliff who always say nice things!

I shall be off to help your book sales over the weekend.

Alie.

Something I always think to myself, is that female members are most welcomed by the boss! He has me in his research team, and Alison and Kate in his moderating team. That says it all really!

You mean BAKER'S BABES?? I fear you're never be taken seriously now :lol: (But we know different really).

Jonathan... Do you refer, maybe to Esther McCallum-Stewart? she's a scholar interested in Great war and Literature and Great War and popular culture. I've read some online articles by her and I think they are very thorough.

Gloria

Thats the young lady. A bit too smart for me (I was clinging on my by my finger tips, trying to keep up with her anaylsis). An excellent talker, she used very little in the way of notes, knew her subject, came across as extremely confident and all in all delivered a very good lecture. I think she has done a couple of radio and tv jobs - well worth listening too if the opportunity arises.

well worth listening too if the opportunity arises.

And talking of well worth listening too, I once had the benefit of listening to a 10/15 minute description of Verdun, off the cuff, when standing outside the Ossuary, by Christina Holstein. One of the best on location, battlefield descriptions, I've had the privelege to hear.

Ladies - if you've got it, I want it! (info on the Swansea Battalion that is)...I'll take info off a Venusian in fact - but it takes light years to get to me.

Bernard

I've met many lovely male forum members, who have been very kind to me. (Harters included!)

Should I be offended at the phrasing of this?

Pals should note that I am only kind to Alie as part of my "wrath avoidance" strategy. She can be extremely threatening in private communications. If you receive a PM inviting you to lunch at Kew, my advice is just to go quietly. You have been warned. ;)

John

I recently heard someone who has read about a hundred WW1 unit histories describe Jill Knight's history of the Civil Service Rifles as the best ever written.

S

A very timely mention, Simon. Jill Knight, who sadly died last year, was honoured and remembered this evening at the inaugural Jill Knight Memorial Lecture organised by the London branch of the WFA and delivered by Peter Simkins (whose topic was 'Forgotten Heroes - Individuals on the Learning Curve', about five largely-forgotten Brigadier Generals who exemplified 'inspirational leadership', a quality Jill much admired). I took the liberty of printing off your kind words and giving a copy to Jill's husband, who was touched by such praise from someone of such wide experience. As a colleague and friend of Jill's, I greatly miss the help and support she gave me with my own research, but am cheered by the knowledge that this Forum (of which Jill was a member) is fortunate enough to have other female Pals of similar calibre, several of whom have been rightly acknowledged by name in this thread.

Mick

When I see a KSLI query on the Forum, I anticpate seeing a reasoned, correct and properly researched answer appear from you before too long.

Never really occured to me that it would be of any less 'value' than anyone elses answer, indeed I expect it to be better than most (if not all).

Steve.

That really sums up my attitude too, couldn't put it better. Go for it Annette.

Aye

Malcolm

Should I be offended at the phrasing of this?

Pals should note that I am only kind to Alie as part of my "wrath avoidance" strategy. She can be extremely threatening in private communications. If you receive a PM inviting you to lunch at Kew, my advice is just to go quietly. You have been warned. ;)

John

John, you know I'm only teasing! You have made me laugh with the above. Your 'wrath avoidance' strategy works very well, (love that phrase).

Thanks again for all your replies. Alie I agree, I too have only met nice male members including Harters. I will not be put off by the odd one but saying that I do know of a couple a ladies who have stopped because they did not feel like they were being taken seriously.

Annette

That is a shame to hear that Annette, although I'm pleased that you are not put off. The forum would certainly miss out, if you never posted again.

Alie.

Annette

Some 30 years ago a very good friend of mine started calling me mate.

Initially, I was quite shocked, but when SHE explained to me that she was as good a friend to me as her husband was ( a guy that I had only known for a couple of years longer than her) - it all became clear - regardless of s*x, people can have very good friends. They are fools if they put gender in front of friendship.

Rgds

Andy

Thanks again for all your replies. Alie I agree, I too have only met nice male members including Harters. I will not be put off by the odd one but saying that I do know of a couple a ladies who have stopped because they did not feel like they were being taken seriously.

Annette

Annette its very difficult to change deeply engrained chauvinistic ideas...do what you do, I dont know you, but it sounds from other comments you do it well. What you will probably find is that your detractors have their heads so far up their own bums that they don't think anyone else is worth listening to whether man or woman. Very occassionally you see it on here, someone will make a valid or well informed observation and it is totally ignored by the self appointed 'experts'

Mick

I gave a little talk at a local family history group recently and focused on Bedford soldiers on their local memorial. Found the memorial interesting myself (as I do with almost all of them really) but was very pleased when 70% of those who chatted afterwards were women.

Now, I asked the group early on if it would help if I breifly ran through Regiments, Battalions etc, rather than waffling on and leaving some unsure of the content that woudl follow. In the split second I asked, I was horribly concious of looking at the ladies in the audience as I was doing so!! :ph34r:

Despite what I thought was an embarrasing error it apparently was not noticed yet I could have crept under the OHP and cried!! And the end result was more than one of them approaching me and saying that they expected it to be rather dull but my enthusiasm had really inspired them, so at the end of it all it was OK.

The point being that I cannot abide racists, sexists, ageists etc (does that make me an "Istist" then? :huh: ) yet I very nearly, albeit absentmindedly, fell into the group myself!

More importantly, ignore it and crack on. In this age you would reach two audiences for the price of one if writing and publishing under your own name - interested men AND women!

if you never posted again.

Alie I'd never go that far, I'd get withdrawal symptoms :o

The point being that I cannot abide racists, sexists, ageists etc (does that make me an "Istist" then? )

I think it does make you a Istist Steve :lol:

Thanks again for all your replies everyone

Annette

• Admin

Over the years I have met quite a few members of the opposite sex who don't respect or listen to my views and ideas. I have to say these tend to be the older brigade, and some military types. (No one who has posted here BTW) One chap who I met took one look at me when we were introduced and just cut me dead. I can live without rude ignorant people like that.

One chap who I met took one look at me when we were introduced and just cut me dead. I can live without rude ignorant people like that.

The words Bat, his, Cricket, head, hard, and hit come to mind but not necesserily in that order.

I think Annette's question hinges on perceptions of the study of the Great War. I remember several perfectly affable and mostly elderly chaps who have expressed surprise that a woman can be interested in warfare, but then I am NOT interested in warfare, but the experiences of ordinary people caught up in an extraordinary event. Naturally the focus will be on the military effort, but in my (probably perverse) reckoning the military effort is no more representative of war than the pastry on a pie. It may be the most obvious part, but there is much more besides.

I remember once being the guest speaker at a WFA branch which canvassed its members on which subjects they wanted to hear from future speakers. One man made it clear (deliberately towards me or not, I cannot be sure) in one word writ large - BATTLES. That was his choice, and a perfectly valid one too. However, I, in my turn, retain the right to be interested in people; bearing arms, bearing hopes and fears, and more likely in my case, bearing the aim of bringing a little light relief into the horrors of the time.

I think Annette's question hinges on perceptions of the study of the Great War. I remember several perfectly affable and mostly elderly chaps who have expressed surprise that a woman can be interested in warfare, but then I am NOT interested in warfare, but the experiences of ordinary people caught up in an extraordinary event. Naturally the focus will be on the military effort, but in my (probably perverse) reckoning the military effort is no more representative of war than the pastry on a pie. It may be the most obvious part, but there is much more besides.

Thats it Kate for me. Unfortunately, I just don't express myself in the right way. If only I'd had a better education....

Alie.

I have certainly met the same attitude as Annette on other forums (not here) but then I am interested in battles, and also in guns, logistics, tactics, military engineering, forts and things that many women aren't interested in. Also, I knock around in the Verdun sector, and am happy to go tunnelling and exploring old forts with properly equipped groups. There aren't many women in those groups although there are some. As I'm not only a woman but foreign, not from a military family, not a teacher or a gendarme and generally arrive on my own, I have been looked at sideways over the years. The question 'how come that a woman is interested in Verdun' used to be quite common but I've become a fixture in the groups and no one thinks its odd any more.

Jon - thank you for your kind words about my explanation of the Battle of Verdun at the Ossuary. If you come over another time, I'll show you some stuff up to the north of the battlefield that you just wouldn't believe.

Christina