Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

In Great War circles

6th Shropshires

Hi

Over the few years I have been on the forum I have found a few blokes on this forum who tend to take no notice of info. supplied by female members, I must say its only a small number here. I have noticed the same with some male members of the WFA. Also a very well known book dealer (retired) advised me not to place my full name on my book because many men would be put off buying it because I was a female and he was in the military book trade for many years.

Have other females come across this. And chaps what do you think, I know many of you are not that blinkered.

Annette

Annette,

Recently I went to a talk about the British Army and the 45 (Culloden for those not in the know) and spent a while in my seat wondering what pocessed her to 'investigate' this topic. I even had the cheek to ask her as she was not Scottish what drew her to Culloden. What I probably meant was no family connection, not Scottish and a woman, so why?

Only later did I realise my attitude may have been seen as a sexist stance. Which is not my intended stance on this matter. I have listened and been impressed by many female speakers and have benefitted from your help a few years ago and would not decline to read or listen to anything because it was presented by a female.

So I guess the answer is I would listen and read anything by a female if it was a topic that interested me, yet I have to confess to wondering why in some circumstances a female would be drawn to this topic. To try and defend my notions on this and rescue my reputation in the eyes of many, last night I listened to a talk about the female volunteer forces pre WW2 by a male and found myself asking why he was interested in this topic. (does this dig me a deeper pit?)

I do not consider myself biased in the sexes and often share a conversation with a certain female once a month and do not value less her knowledge and input than the other car passenger, who is male so I now find myself wondering what to make of these confessions of mine.

Ending with trepidation

Arm

Ps... having just read the next few threads, it never even accurred to me to not buy Lyn Macdonalds books on WW1 and I do not recall ever picking the books up and wondering why? I have never to my knowledge dismissed an answer by a forum member because they were female either. Confused even more!!

Edited by armourersergeant

Without the great Rose Coombs, where would we be? Thank goodness too for Lyn McDonald. And there are plenty of others. Ignore the doubters, Annette - you go for it!

Did somebody say something?

Seriously, if you have noticed such an attitude then I apologise on behalf of my fellow males for holding such stupid and short-sited views.

And as for the book dealer - has he not heard of Lyn Macdonald? She seems to have done OK despite her 'handicap'.

Im always interested in what Sue Light, Aliecoco and Kate Wills have to say about their respective research projects. And there is an academic - Esther MacDonald-double-barrelled-something - I remember she gave a great lecture on the Great War and literature at a seminar I attended a couple of years ago.

Go for Annette, and if it is a subject that interests me then i will buy it whether you were male or female.

Mandy :D

Annette

Earlier this year I attended a talk at my local WFA Branch given by a woman. The talk was excellent. She told me that she used to attend a branch in the Home Counties, until one evening she was by a man what she was doing there. He apparently couldn't understand why a woman had an interest in WW1!

I think the Natural History Museum should be informed that dinosaur's still thrive, they mat be able to put to on an interesting exhibition.

Terry Reeves

Over the few years I have been on the forum I have found a few blokes on this forum who tend to take no notice of info. supplied by female members

Only if they are daft-

I hope you told the book dealer what you thought of (His??) advice. Info is info whatever the sex of the informer, if someone already knows better....why ask?

Are you putting your name on your book in full? I'm urprised the dealer didn't suggest making up a rank-so you could sound more "military". :blink:

Sex of the author/speaker is not a consideration to vast majority of persons interested in a subject and do not concern yourself with those who persist in such archaic opinion!

Annette

There's sexism here as there is sexism in real life.

I take notice of what folks have to say. And many of the women members here share my "individual lives" research interests. That's my criteria for "taking notice".

John

Annette, your book is in my catalogue and because its title begins with a number, it's first in the list in the Regimental and Unit History section. I've just noticed that I named the author as Annette Burgoyne without even thinking about it. I'm rather pleased about that having read this topic. I never noticed that it doesn't say Annette on the cover until I looked a moment ago.

I can understand your annoyance. I have seen a post of yours recently in which you gave a complete answer and explanation to a member's question, but the discussion carried on as though your post was invisible.

Tom

A few may take no notice but that doesn't matter. You don't want to address anyone that daft anyway.

Annette - ignore the ignorant; it's what they deserve

It is the originaility of the work and the quality of the research which matters, not the sex of the author. My wife kindly offered me serevla "new books on the Somme" this suimmer; I declined almost all because most contained rehashed material

Stephen

You're probably right - the old Fast Show sketch that Andrew alluded to probably has an element of truth. My opinion tends to agree with the others: there are plenty of blokes out there who talk through their proverbials!

Go girl.

(Mind, Roland's avatars do brighten the day a little ;)

I wouldn't even be here were it not for my other half; by training and background I'm a WW2 and counter-revolutionary warfare historian. It was her wanting to know more about her grandfather's service from 1899-1921 and in WW2 that led to the MGC etc, etc, etc.

Gender is irrelevant - or should be. I could give you a long list of superb female academic historians (go see 'The History Boys' where Frances de la Tour launches into an impassioned - and for the time accurate - rant about the place of the female in history and as historians and reflect how things have changed).

Anyone who questions your credentials, or, far far worse your very right to research purely on grounds of gender needs addressing across the cheekbones with a very large, cold, wet fish.

When I see a KSLI query on the Forum, I anticpate seeing a reasoned, correct and properly researched answer appear from you before too long.

Never really occured to me that it would be of any less 'value' than anyone elses answer, indeed I expect it to be better than most (if not all).

Steve.

Im always interested in what Sue Light, Aliecoco and Kate Wills have to say about their respective research projects. And there is an academic - Esther MacDonald-double-barrelled-something - I remember she gave a great lecture on the Great War and literature at a seminar I attended a couple of years ago.

Having been on the Forum since its beginning and been the grateful recipient of much information and advice from many members but in particular the three Ladies mentioned above, long may they continue.

Cliff.

Cheers for your replies and I know most of the men on the forum are not blinkered its just the very small handful, who I do normally tend to take no notice of but I guess I just let it get up my nose yesterday.

Again thanks for all your replies

Annette

I recently heard someone who has read about a hundred WW1 unit histories describe Jill Knight's history of the Civil Service Rifles as the best ever written.

S

I shall put this point to Christina Holstein when I see her in a day or two.

I look forward to her reply.

...And there is an academic - Esther MacDonald-double-barrelled-something - I remember she gave a great lecture on the Great War and literature at a seminar I attended a couple of years ago.

Jonathan... Do you refer, maybe to Esther McCallum-Stewart? she's a scholar interested in Great war and Literature and Great War and popular culture. I've read some online articles by her and I think they are very thorough.

Gloria

And what about Evelyn Waugh...ive read all her books! :lol:

Mick

<_< Did she write about the Great War? Mind, the way she disguised herself while using Apthorpe's Thunder Box, she deserves a wide readership. :lol::lol:

When I see a KSLI query on the Forum, I anticpate seeing a reasoned, correct and properly researched answer appear from you before too long.

Me too

Glyn