Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Machukovo - Vardar and Doiran Front, Salonika

Trebrys

Would anyone know how to get photographs of the village of Machukovo or Macukovo near the River Vardar just off the Doiran Front?

I'm researching into the career of a soldier of the 11th RWF killed there on March 27 1917 when ambushed by the German 59th Infantry Regiment.

Any suggestions would be gratefully received. Thanks.

Trebrys.

Try the Salonika Campaign Society. You could always ask to make a request via the newsletter The Noew Mosquito

Thanks Kate.

Trebrys.

Try the Salonika Campaign Society. You could always ask to make a request via the newsletter The Noew Mosquito

Do you mean "then" pics or "now" pics?

I could take some "now" pics next time I'm up that way in a couple of weeks perhaps.

A quick trawl of Greek websites for "then" photos has been unsuccessful, but I might be able to find something in the local museums, if you give me time. I'm not aware of any museums in Evzoni (as it's now called) - it's only a little place! - but I don't know that area too well yet.

I would suspect that any interesting stuff is across the border in the much larger town of Gevgelija/FYROM.

Hi there,

Many thanks for the offer!! Anything would be gratefully received, though I'm sure that photos of "then" would be mor effective! This isn't to say that modern pics wouldn't do though!! I'll try the War Museum in London to see if there's anything there too!

Many thanks once again,

Trebrys.

Do you mean "then" pics or "now" pics?

I could take some "now" pics next time I'm up that way in a couple of weeks perhaps.

A quick trawl of Greek websites for "then" photos has been unsuccessful, but I might be able to find something in the local museums, if you give me time. I'm not aware of any museums in Evzoni (as it's now called) - it's only a little place! - but I don't know that area too well yet.

I would suspect that any interesting stuff is across the border in the much larger town of Gevgelija/FYROM.

Many thanks. I'll try chasing after him.

Alan Wakefield in the Photographic department at the IWM should be fairly helpful here - after all Salonika is his thing!