Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

"Three Sons Killed in Action"

Guest mruk

Peter, you 'crafty old ******!

I hope in the season of good will you were not holding out on me? :D

Many thanks Peter, and a pleasant surprise!

Much appreciated.

Kindest regards, Chris.

I have recently been looking at Haifa War Cemetery for the second part of a virtual tour [see http://1914-1918.invisionzone.com/forums/i...showtopic=66037]

There I have come across the representatives of two families who between them sacrificed 7 sons who I do not think have been mentioned here so far

BURCHETT, EDWIN Initials: E Nationality: United Kingdom Rank: Private Regiment/Service: Wiltshire Regiment Unit Text: 1st/4th Bn. Age: 40 Date of Death: 01/11/1918 Service No: 220046 Additional information: Son of William and Eliza Burchett, of Pot Common, Elstead, Godalming Surrey; husband of the late Ellen Maud Burchett. His brothers, Arthur and Cecil (sic) also fell.

On Edwin's headstone the family has had inscribed 'Rest in the Lord'.

His brothers were;

BURCHETT, ARTHUR Initials: A Nationality: United Kingdom Rank: Serjeant Regiment/Service: Coldstream Guards Unit Text: 1st Bn. Age: 24 Date of Death: 14/09/1914 Service No: 7882 Additional information: Son of William and Eliza Burchett, of Pot Common, Elstead, Godalming, Surrey. His brothers, Cecil (sic) and Edwin also fell. Casualty Type: Commonwealth War Dead Grave/Memorial Reference: I. F. 3. Cemetery: Vailly British Cemetery

(There seems to have been an error on the part of the CWGC regarding the third brother's Christian name – for Cecil read Colin)

BURCHETT, COLIN Initials: C Nationality: United Kingdom Rank: Private Regiment/Service: Middlesex Regiment Unit Text: 17th Bn. Age: 24 Date of Death: 11/12/1917 Service No: G/48086 Additional information: Son of William and Eliza Burchett, of Pot Common, Elstead, Godalming, Surrey. His brothers, Arthur and Edwin also fell. Casualty Type: Commonwealth War Dead Grave/Memorial Reference: I. E. 14. Cemetery: Lebucquiere Communal Cemetery Extension

And the second family:

LYNN, JAMES Initials: J Nationality: United Kingdom Rank: Serjeant Regiment/Service: Royal Army Service Corps Unit Text: 906th Coy. Age: 37 Date of Death: 07/08/1920 Service No: EMT/57074 Additional information: Son of James and Elizabeth Lynn, of Mousetown, Coalisland, Co. Tyrone. One of four brothers who died on service, two of whom are buried in Belgium, one in France.

On James' headstone the family has had inscribed 'Forever with the Lord'.

His brothers were;

LYNN, JOHN Initials: J Nationality: United Kingdom Rank: Private Regiment/Service: Royal Inniskilling Fusiliers Unit Text: 1st Bn. Age: 26 Date of Death: 09/08/1916 Service No: 4471 Additional information: Son of James and Elizabeth Lynn, of Mousetown, Coalisland, Co. Tyrone. One of four brothers who died on service during the First World War; two of whom are buried in Belgium, one in France and the fourth in Israel. Casualty Type: Commonwealth War Dead Grave/Memorial Reference: VII. D. 32A. Cemetery: Lijssenthoek Military Cemetery

LYNN, ROBERT Initials: R Nationality: United Kingdom Rank: Driver Regiment/Service: Royal Field Artillery Unit Text: 87th Bty. Age: 30 Date of Death: 06/08/1915 Service No: 45206 Additional information: Son of James and Elizabeth Lynn, of Mousetown, Coalisland, Co. Tyrone, Ireland. One of four brothers who died on service during the First World War; two are buried in Belgium, one in France and the fourth is buried in Israel. Casualty Type: Commonwealth War Dead Grave/Memorial Reference: Plot I. Row E. Grave 9. Cemetery: Hop Store Cemetery

LYNN, WILLIAM EDWARD Initials: W E Nationality: United Kingdom Rank: Serjeant Regiment/Service: Royal Irish Fusiliers Unit Text: 1st Bn. Age: 21 Date of Death: 17/07/1916 Service No: 5700 Additional information: Son of James and Elizabeth Lynn, of Mousetown, Coalisland, Co. Tyrone. One of four brothers who died on service, two are buried in Belgium, one in France and the fourth in Israel. Casualty Type: Commonwealth War Dead Grave/Memorial Reference: II. F. 4. Cemetery: Auchonvillers Military Cemetery

Jarvis mentioned the family Smith from Barnard Castle three are mentioned on CWGC:

Private, 6/3433, Robert Smith, 1st/6th Battalion, Durham Light Infantry, died of wounds 19th September 1916 aged 22 years, son of John McDowell and Margaret Smith (nee Stout) of 33, Bridgegate, Barnard Castle, Durham. His brothers George Henry and Frederick also fell. Buried in Grave II.A.26 Dernancourt Communal Cemetery Extension.

Corporal, 2264, George Henry Smith, 6th Battalion, Durham Light Infantry, killed in action 5th Nov 1916, aged 26 years, son of John McDowell Smith and Margaret Smith (nee Stout) of 33 Bridgegate, Barnard Castle, Co Durham. His brothers Frederick and Robert also fell. Commemorated on Addenda Panel 1 of the Thiepval Memorial.

Private, 252055, Frederick Smith, 20th Battalion, Durham Light Infantry, killed in action 31st July 1917, aged 21 years, son of John McDowell Smith and Margaret Smith (nee Stout) of 33, Bridgegate, Barnard Castle, Durham. His brothers George Henry and Robert also fell. Commemorated on Menin Gate.

I believe the other two to be:

Sergeant, 235609, John William Stout, 1st/5th Battalion, West Yorkshire Regiment (Prince of Wales's Own), killed in action 9th October 1917, aged 37 years the husband of Frances Annie Stout (nee Bailey), of Bank, Barnard Castle, Co. Durham. Commemorated on Tyne Cot Memorial. (Formerly 3148, 6th Res., Durham Light Infantry)

I believe he was Margaret Smith's (nee Stout) first son born in Startforth, Yorkshire in 1880 prior to her marriage to John McDowell Smith in 1882 he appears with the family on the 1891 Census and is living next door to them with his wife and daughter in 1901.

The other is probably:

Private, 250127, Alfred Smith, 9th Battalion, Durham Light Infantry, died of wounds 22nd July 1918, buried in Grave XVII. D. 18. in Terlincthun British Cemetery, Wimille.

Per SDGW he was Born Hartforth (probably Startforth), Yorkshire and Enlisted Barnard Castle.

He would have been aged 30 years.

The remaining son was Wilfred Smith born circa 1898.

I know Jarvis mentioned J. T. Smith who is I believe Lance Corporal, 579860, King's Own Scottish Borderers who died aged 23 years on 2nd January 1920 and is buried in Barnard Castle (St Mary) Church Cemetery. Son of Mrs Elizabeth Ann Smith, of Flatts View, Barnard Castle and therfore not related.

Pam

Jarvis mentioned the family Smith from Barnard Castle three are mentioned on CWGC:

Pam

Pam, many thanks for your Smith update - some info I had and some is new to me. You have aided me immeasurably - especially with census info when searching for Smiths. Thanks again.

Captain Jacob Kruse Muller Hessler. 5th D.L.I. K.I.A. 23.03.1918. Pozieres Memorial.

Captain Jacob Andrew Norman Hessler. 5th D.L.I. K.I.A. 27.05.1918. Soissons Memorial

• 2 weeks later...

I've just come across these three brothers while researching a man who is mentioned on memorial at St. Anne's [RC] Cathedral in Leeds. Apologies if the three men have previously been mentioned. I know there is an active interest in the Stockport area. The first man is from Leeds, followed by the three Finnerty Brothers form Stockport.

Finnerty, W. Pte. No. 7409 [1st West Yorks] Died. 16-11-1916 Age: Unknown Cemetery-Memorial: South Shields [Harton] Cemetery. T. 9355

Finnerty, William Gunner No. 62150 [88th Bgde RFA] Died: 25-7-1916 Age: Unknown. Cemetery-Memorial: Thiepval Memorial. Pier and Face 1A and 8A. [son of Thomas and Mary AnnFinnnerty 5 Etchells Street, St. Petersgate, Stockport]

Finnerty, Martin Pte. No. 267910 [6th Cheshire Regiment] Died. 20-8-1917 Age: 24 Cemetery-Memorial: Abbeville Communal Cemetery Extension. III. C. 5. [As Above]

Finnerty, Thomas Acting Bombardier No. 37131 [156th Bgde RFA] Died: 20-10-1917 Age: Unknown. Cemetery-Memorial: The Huts Cemetery. XIII. C. 5. [As Above]

Regards,

Dave

Hello Dave,

In Stannington a small village at the time of the Great war, now part of Sheffield. The Vickers family lost 3 sons.

Sons of Walter & Mary A. Vickers, Fairbarn Road, Stannington, Sheffield. Walter was a Scale presser. The family lived at Han Moor, Stannington before moving to Fairbarn Road.

Vickers, Arnold. Leicestershire Regiment 7th Bn. Private. Service No. 41981. Aged 19. Soissons Memorial, Aisne, France. 27-May 1918.

Vickers, Ernest. Durham Light Infantry 13th Bn Private. Service No. 245254. Aged 20. Ypres, Menin Gate, Belgium. 10-Jul 1917.

Vickers, Herbert. Royal Army Medical Corps 33rd Coy. Private. Service No. 32889. Aged 29. Cairo War Memorial Cemetery, Egypt. 27-Nov 1918.

Very Sad.

Regards Robert

From Bedford

PRENTICE Private JACK ALAN 31609. 1st Bn. Bedfordshire Regiment. 25th March 1920. Age 21. Son of Walter and Louisa Alice Prentice

PRENTICE Private FRANCIS MAURICE " London Scottish Regiment Lagnicourt France Sep. 25th 1917 aged 24." 511693 14th Bn. London Regiment (London Scottish). Son of Walter and Louisa Alice Prentice, of 50, Hurst Grove, Bedford. I. B. 16. LAGNICOURT HEDGE CEMETERY

PRENTICE Private HOWARD " 11th Middlesex Regt. Cambrai France Nov. 30th 1917, aged 22." G/8871 11th Bn. Middlesex Regiment. Son of Walter and Louisa Alice Prentice, of 50, Hurst Grove, Bedford. Panel 9. CAMBRAI MEMORIAL, LOUVERVAL

post-3633-1168694559.jpg

Chris C

And from Luton all on one private memorial:

TUFFNELL Private ALFRED "7th Beds Regt. Died in France November 4th 1915 aged 33 years." 7th Bn. Bedfordshire Regiment Son of Mrs. A. Tufnell, of 226, Hitchin Rd., Luton, Beds. DARTMOOR CEMETERY

TUFFNELL Private BENJAMIN "1/5th Beds Regt. Killed in action Sulva Bay Gallipoli August 15th 1915 aged 28 years." 4291 5th Bn. Bedfordshire Regiment Panel 54 and 218. HELLES MEMORIAL

TUFFNELL Private "1st Beds Regt. Killed in action at Hill 60 France April 21st 1915 aged 35 years." 7578 1st Bn. Bedfordshire Regiment. VI. G. 15. OOSTTAVERNE WOOD CEMETERY

post-3633-1168694514.jpg

Chris C

Thank you to this "Three Sons killed in Action" thread, for providing me with two more sets, the Tuffnells and the Hardings for "Gallipoli Brother," thread in "Classic Threads.". It's a pity these two threads can't be linked in some way? It will also apply to "Brothers Killed the Same Day."

Bob

Didn't have time to read all the posts on this thread but this one from the colonies:

Four members of the Ayre family, all officers were killed July 1, 1916. The four were brothers and cousins from a wealthy St. John's, Newfoundland family. Three were killed at Beaumont Hamel with the Newfoundland Regiment the fourth with a British Regiment, Norfolk I believe. Of course like many communities in the UK, St. John's saw their share of sacrifice July 1, 1916.

July 1st is still Memorial Day here, but also happens to be Canada Day, the celebration of the Dominion of Canada. Makes for an odd day. Remembrance at the War Memorial in morning, fireworks of celebration in the evening.

The three Walker brothers from York:

Walker, Oswald Bethell; Captain

Captain 15th (The King's) Hussars. Killed in action 23rd August 1914. Aged 39. Son of Captain and Mrs. Edwyn Walker, of Mill Mount House, York; husband of Marcia Eugenia Walker. His brother, Wilfred Beckett Walker also fell. Commemorated La Ferte-sous-Jouarre Memorial, Seine-et-Marne, France. Commemorated on the Holy Trinity Church War Memorial, Micklegate and in The King’s Book.

Walker, Roger Beverley; Captain

Captain Yorkshire Hussars Yeomanry attached 9th Bn., West Yorkshire Regiment (Prince of Wales's Own). Died of wounds 13th November 1918. Aged 32. Son of Capt. Edwyn Walker (late 15th Hussars) and Mrs. Edwyn Walker, of York. Buried Terlincthun British Cemetery, Wimille, Pas de Calais, France, X. E. 36. Roger Walker was awarded the Military Cross. Commemorated on the Holy Trinity Church War Memorial, Micklegate and in The King’s Book.

Walker, Wilfrid Beckett; Major

Major 2nd Bn., Yorkshire Regiment. Killed in action 29th October 1914. Aged 38. Son of Capt. Edwyn Walker. His brother, Capt. O.B. Walker was also lost. Commemorated Ypres (Menin Gate) Memorial, Ieper, West-Vlaanderen, Belgium, Panel 33. Commemorated on the Holy Trinity Church War Memorial, Micklegate

and in The King’s Book.

Regards

Steve

Hello,

Possible contender for worst family tragedy in a single day?

Emlyn Davies of the 17th RWFus in his privately-published personal account Taffy Went To War claims that during the 10th-11th July 1916 attack on Mametz Wood, his unit lost four out of five Jones brothers from the Blaenau Ffestiniog area.

Can't prove it quickly, partly due to the preponderance of Joneses in Welsh units, but maybe someone with more time & patience than myself could have a go!

LST_164

Mine too:

Name Richard FARNELL

Address

NOK Son of John and Ellen Farnell,

Rank Sapper

No 102911

Regt 178th Tunnelling Company, Royal Engineers

Date of Death 02.07.1916

How Killed in Action

Theatre France and Flanders

Buried NORFOLK CEMETERY, BECORDEL-BECOURT

Name Samson Farnell

Address 27, Low St., Cheslyn Hay, Walsall.

Rank Sapper

No 112552

Regt 179th Tunnelling Company, Royal Engineers

Date of Death 23.12.1915

How Died

Buried NORFOLK CEMETERY, BECORDEL-BECOURT

Notes Probably the first instance of a local soldier having died from natural causes whilst in the trenches, is that of Sapper Samson Farnell of 27 Low Street, Cheslyn Hay, who succumbed while on active service in France with the Royal Engineers, some weeks ago. He a single man, 38 years of age and previous to enlisting in the early part of the war worked at Mssrs Hawkins Colliery, Cheslyn Hay. (Walsall Observer and South Staffordshire Chronicle dated 15th January 1916).

Name George FARNELL

Address 27 Low Street, Cheslyn Hay

Rank Private

No 19735

Regt 8th Service Battalion, South Staffordshire Regiment

Date of Death 04.03.1916

How Died of wounds

Buried ETAPLES MILITARY CEMETERY

Notes Enlisted at Cannock

• 2 months later...

Hi Dave.

Unfortunately the gravestones have been laid flat as you know, due to the unfortunate death of a small child.

First photo is of Herbert Sykes Wooler's commemoration.

Kindest regards, Chris.

post-47-1176304253.jpg

Many Thanks for taking the time on this, Chris. It's like I've said elsewhere, time and effort, mate. Time and effort, and a selfless and commited attitude to research which goes beyond your own immediate interests.

Best Wishes,

Dave

I know there is an active interest in the Stockport area. The first man is from Leeds, followed by the three Finnerty Brothers form Stockport.

Finnerty, W. Pte. No. 7409 [1st West Yorks] Died. 16-11-1916 Age: Unknown Cemetery-Memorial: South Shields [Harton] Cemetery. T. 9355

Finnerty, William Gunner No. 62150 [88th Bgde RFA] Died: 25-7-1916 Age: Unknown. Cemetery-Memorial: Thiepval Memorial. Pier and Face 1A and 8A. [son of Thomas and Mary AnnFinnnerty 5 Etchells Street, St. Petersgate, Stockport]

Finnerty, Martin Pte. No. 267910 [6th Cheshire Regiment] Died. 20-8-1917 Age: 24 Cemetery-Memorial: Abbeville Communal Cemetery Extension. III. C. 5. [As Above]

Finnerty, Thomas Acting Bombardier No. 37131 [156th Bgde RFA] Died: 20-10-1917 Age: Unknown. Cemetery-Memorial: The Huts Cemetery. XIII. C. 5. [As Above]

Dave

I missed this first time round. When you say there is active interest in Stockport, do you mean by someone other than me? All three are remembered on the main town memorial (although I've only researched martin so far).

Dave

Two lots of three for you from Cheadle, Cheshire. There are 101 names on the village memorial:

Name: LEE, EDWARD

Initials: E

Nationality: United Kingdom

Regiment/Service: King's Royal Rifle Corps

Unit Text: 12th Bn.

Date of Death: 02/12/1917

Service No: R/6269

Additional information: Son of William and Elizabeth Lee, of 13, Platt St., Cheadle, Cheshire.

Casualty Type: Commonwealth War Dead

Grave/Memorial Reference: Panel 9.

Memorial: CAMBRAI Memorial

Name: LEE, FREDERICK

Initials: F

Regiment/Service: Lancashire Fusiliers

Unit Text: 2nd Bn.

Date of Death: 26/08/1914

Service No: 2351

Additional information: Son of William and Elizabeth Lee, of 13, Platt St., Cheadle, Cheshire.

Memorial: LA FERTE-SOUS-JOUARRE Memorial

Name: LEE, LEONARD

Initials: L

Regiment/Service: Cheshire Regiment

Unit Text: 13th Bn.

Date of Death: 14/11/1917

Service No: R/850

Grave/Memorial Reference: Panel 49 and 50.

Memorial: LOOS Memorial

Name: WRENCH, ARTHUR

Initials: A

Unit Text: 10th Bn.

Date of Death: 26/04/1918

Service No: 16026

Awards: M M

Additional information: Husband of Charlotte Wrench.

Grave/Memorial Reference: Panel 61 to 63.

Memorial: TYNE COT Memorial

Name: WRENCH

Initials: J C

Regiment/Service: Royal Welsh Fusiliers

Unit Text: 2nd Bn.

Date of Death: 11/06/1917

Service No: 56246

Grave/Memorial Reference: III. H. 9A.

Cemetery: MONT HUON MILITARY CEMETERY, LE TREPORT

Name: WRENCH, FRED

Initials: F

Unit Text: 1st/6th Bn.

Date of Death: 06/06/1918

Service No: 241272

Memorial: SOISSONS MEMORIAL

Hi John,

Yes, partly, though I was thinking the 'Finnerty Brothers' would be of interest to anyone in your area. They have no connection to my own particular research, as far as I'm aware, and I think I was researching another Finnerty when I came across these lads on CWGC and decided to post.

Cheers,

Dave

PS: Thanks for the other info on the 'Lee' and 'Wrench Brothers'

3 more Brothers who died in Great War

from the Spenborough Roll of Honour.

Arthur Walker

322214 Pte 8th York and Lancasters KIA 9th April 1917 Listed on Menin Gate

Fred Walker

242134 Pte 2/6th West Yorkshires KIA 15th Feb 1917 Buried Serre No1 France

Harry Walker

74246 Pte 10th Notts and Derbys Regiment KIA 6th May 1918 Buried at Acheux France.

Mrs Walker commemorated her lost sons on the family grave in Heckmondwike West Yorks.

Ady

I imagine he's not seen this thread, but Enoch Beard in his blog identified the 3 Sidaway brothers of Rowley Regis, all kia or dow within 12 months. Another family totally devastated.

Jim

PS: Thanks for the other info on the 'Lee' and 'Wrench Brothers'

Pity about Finnerty. One hopes for descendents with juicy information.

I've told this tale before but it'll stand a retell. When I launched my original memorial website, the local newspaper did a very nice two page spread. The after publication the phone and a voice says "Hello, this is Fred Wrench...."

I was, uncharacteristically, speechless for a few moments till I realised that this wasnt a ghost.

He was a nephew of a much younger brother of Fred's. And he put me in touch with a much older cousin who had known Charlie's widow. "Any idea where his MM might be" says I. "She'd have flogged it if there was five bob in it", she replies. I learned more about the area where I now live in two meetings with this elderly lady then a local history book can tell.

She then wanted to give me a copy of the Manchester City Battalions Book of Honour. "Can't accept it" says I....not wanting a reputation for conning a blind old woman out of a fairly valuable book. She insisted. I kept refusing. She kept insisting. I said I would buy it then. She refused to take more than 10p - cos she knew it was going to good home. There are still genuine nice people in this world. It cheers me up every time I think of this story and more so when I tell it.

John