Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

6th Yorkshire R. at Suvla Bay

mrfish

Hi,

I'm doing some research on a soldier of the 6th Yorkshire Battalion, John Stephenson. I've been reading accounts of the Landings of the 6th/7th August at Suvla Bay both in a couple of books and on the net, however, the detail isn't there for what I was hoping to discover. Certainly of all the Battalions who landed at Suvla in August, the 6th Yorks don't feature that highly.

The reason I'm interested in detail is my man landed on the 6th August and was dead by the 9th. I know this isn't unusual, but when ever I've been tracing soldiers military careers before there is usually a bit more of a trail to follow, and so less detail isn't too much of a let down, however, John's entire active service was probably around just 60 hours from landing to being KIA.

So, what do I know, or what do I think I know? Well I know that the 6th Yorkshires were part of 32nd Brigade, 11th Division and were ashore on 'B' Beach by 10pm on the 6th. Then it's all a bit unclear, but by some point on the 8th they were on Scimitar Hill (how did they get there?) but were then ordered back (to Sulajik?) in the early hours of 9th August in order to march back towards Tekke Tepe, where they were met by a Turkish bayonet charge with the Battalion being mostly wiped out. I understand that many of those that survived were burnt alive by scrub fires on the way back down to the bay?

What I'm interested in is does anyone have any detail on the 6th Yorkshires for the 6th, 7th, 8th and 9th of August? Maybe even a plan of the route they took and what they did?

It seems such a shame that poor old John spent most of his active service marching up and down hills, only to be killed in his first contact with the enemy. I'd like to be able to put more detail on his active service.

Also, any detail on how the 6th reached Gallipoli would be useful too. I understand they left Liverpool on the 1 July and went, via Egypt, to the island of Lemnos (John's entry into the Balkans theatre [2b] was 14 July so this is presumably when he landed at Mudros?) before leaving for Gallipoli on the 28th?

Any help will be much very appreciated.

mrfish

><(((*>

Among many books, Volume 2 of the Official History gives a pretty good account of 6/Yorkshire at Suvla (the full, detailed story is really a bit long to record here). See also Westlake's "British Regiments at Gallipoli" for a good summary. The battalion sailed from Liverpool in HMT AQUITANIA at 1.30pm on 3 July 1915, having embarked the previous morning, arrived at Mudros on 10 July and disembarked the following day. I don't think they went near Egypt. They re-embarked on 20 July and moved to Imbros. There are several other good books on Gallipoli, all of which tell the story from a different perspective.

Hi,

I'm doing some research on a soldier of the 6th Yorkshire Battalion, John Stephenson. I've been reading accounts of the Landings of the 6th/7th August at Suvla Bay both in a couple of books and on the net, however, the detail isn't there for what I was hoping to discover. Certainly of all the Battalions who landed at Suvla in August, the 6th Yorks don't feature that highly.

The reason I'm interested in detail is my man landed on the 6th August and was dead by the 9th. I know this isn't unusual, but when ever I've been tracing soldiers military careers before there is usually a bit more of a trail to follow, and so less detail isn't too much of a let down, however, John's entire active service was probably around just 60 hours from landing to being KIA.

So, what do I know, or what do I think I know? Well I know that the 6th Yorkshires were part of 32nd Brigade, 11th Division and were ashore on 'B' Beach by 10pm on the 6th. Then it's all a bit unclear, but by some point on the 8th they were on Scimitar Hill (how did they get there?) but were then ordered back (to Sulajik?) in the early hours of 9th August in order to march back towards Tekke Tepe, where they were met by a Turkish bayonet charge with the Battalion being mostly wiped out. I understand that many of those that survived were burnt alive by scrub fires on the way back down to the bay?

What I'm interested in is does anyone have any detail on the 6th Yorkshires for the 6th, 7th, 8th and 9th of August? Maybe even a plan of the route they took and what they did?

It seems such a shame that poor old John spent most of his active service marching up and down hills, only to be killed in his first contact with the enemy. I'd like to be able to put more detail on his active service.

Also, any detail on how the 6th reached Gallipoli would be useful too. I understand they left Liverpool on the 1 July and went, via Egypt, to the island of Lemnos (John's entry into the Balkans theatre [2b] was 14 July so this is presumably when he landed at Mudros?) before leaving for Gallipoli on the 28th?

Any help will be much very appreciated.

mrfish

><(((*>

tis indeed a nightmare!

None of the war diaries for these battalions seem to have survived.

I know the 33rd brigade left from Liverpool but not sure about the others. Some left from Bristol but if they left on 1st - probably Liverpool. Although 33rd Bde went straight to Mudros on Lemnos. They also went into the trenches at Helles on 24th July to get some practice in !

The 11th div were first to land and should have landed on New beach which ran south from Nibrunesi point to the mouth of Aghyl Dere. Stopford though requested ( decided) that the southernmost of the three beaches which was A beach should be within Suvla Bay itself The navy were not happy bunnies but agreed despite not charting this area and also instead of A, B and C beaches they ended up with B, C and A beaches!

The troops landing on B beach had a long march to Yilghin Burnu via the cut and Hill 10. Thye also went around the salt lake. This route was apparently to help the inexperienced troops of the Div as Yilghin Burnu was supposed to be heavily fortified. Therefore further to march but an easier attack at the end (allegedly). The Turks were first engaged on Lala Baba but in order not to alert the Turks inland, it was bayonets only! Many officers and men became casualties and once the Hill wa staken, the men could not fire at the retreating Turks. The 6th Yorkshires led the attack and once finished were to knackered to carry on to the meet up with troops from A beach.

I have two accounts from men in the 9th Bn Sherwood Foresters - The officer said it was lovley with the men swimming - The private said it was hell with many wounded !! On 9th and 21st August the 9th SF had every officer killed or wounded except the MO and had to amalgamate with the Borders to make a viable Battalion. Over 200 men fought their first and last battle and anohter 400 were wounded.

Once the landing had been effected, the troops sat around for a couple of days. This gave the Turks plenty of time to regroup. Hamilton eventually landed at 6pm on 8th, to late for an attack. At dawn on 9th the troops started to climb the hills.

The 6th Yorks therefore fought the first engagement of the landings and I think the first New Army troops to fight (although as I mentioned the 9th SF were in the trenches on 24th july and lost 2 men). Lala Baba was renamed York Hill in recognition of the attack. At least John would have fought with the bayonet on 7th.

I thought that Scimitar Hill was attacked by 29th Div on 21st August and i would be suprised if anyone got near Scimitar Hill on 8th.

Stevem

dear mrfish,

do a topic search with : "tekke tepe" and you'll get some good info.

eric

Hi,

I will have a look to see if I have anything else on the 6th Yorkshires (Green Howard’s)

The 32nd Brigade Order (B.M. 42) 08.15am 8th August 1915,

" The 32nd Brigade is to advance to the line Sulajik 105 to Anafarta Ova 118 N. 4, connecting up on the right with the 10th Division at Yilghin Burmi and on the left with Dorsets, who in turn connect with 30th Brigade. The Brigade will move via 117 R.W. then south-east aaa First Line 6th East Yorkshires on the right, 9th West Yorkshires on left. Second line 6th Green Howard’s on right, 8th West Riding on left and 67th Field Company. Reserve, 6th York and Lancaster Regiment aaa On securing the above line, the Brigade will entrench under the orders of O.C., 67th Field Company. Reserve for present will remain on eastern slope of Hill 10 aaa Reports to Reserve aaa Time of move will be notified later. The left of East Yorkshire Regiment will direct."

Regards Charles

Hello, All

Thanks for all your replies so far, Charles, Eric, Steve, Horario2 et al. It's really appreciated. You've given me lots to go on which I will investigate. If you come up with anything else then please let me know.

Many thanks

mrfish

><(((((*>

• 2 weeks later...

Hello all,

What a fascinating forum - I have been learning lots...

I also have an interest in the 6th Battalion East Yorkshire Regiment - my husband's g-grandfather was Vincent Graham - Private - No 10474.

He survived the 8th/9th August battle but was killed (missing) on the 22nd August - I presume as part of the forward battle that commenced on the 21st August - any further info on this would be appreciated.

Vincent's name is commemorated at Helles Memorial on Panel 51-54 if anyone has amy images??

He was born in Ireland, married a Scottish girl Alice and was living in Hull when he enlisted - he had five children - two of whom emigrated to Aus - one during the depression and one after the bombings in WWII - his grandaughter (my Mother-in-law) came to Aus in the 1960s.

I have the wonderful opportunity of travelling to Gallipoli in 1994 (it is a young Australian's rite of passage really) and was taken on a tour of the battlefields which was an amazing experience and the fabulous Turksish tour guide dispelled many of the Aus myths - we were very conscious of Vincent then but at that time had no specific information about him - thanks to the web now we are gaining more of an insight

Ant assistance or infomarion would be greatly apperciated

Angela

Angela,

I have an account of the 6th EYR from 10th to 23rd August including the attack on Scimitar Hill. I will send it to you as its rather long.

Regards Charles

Angela

Vincent Graham’s name appears on Panel 52 of the Helles Memorial. I photographed all the East Yorkshire Regiment panels on the memorial when I visited last year. If you would like a copy PM me your email address and I will send you one.

Regards

Mark

If you're not in a hurry I can get you a close-up of the panel within a couple of weeks.

eric

• 2 weeks later...

I have a document that includes the entry :

Sgt Albert Leibrick - 6th Bn East Yorkshire R. - Karageorge Siler Star 2nd Class - At Suvla, 15 August 1915, the regimental hospital was nearly surrounded by Turks and under heavy fire. Supervised the removal of the wounded and therefore nearly all of whom were got back to the beach safely. He displayed great courage and devotion to duty.

This document was signed by (what appears to be) S a C L. Woolcombe

Lieutenant General Commanding 11th Division

I know it's a few days after the dates you mention but it might be of interest as there was obviously a lot of pressure around these dates.

Jarvis,

Thats very interesting, I have a 5685 Sgt A. Liebrick with the Serbian Cross of Karageonge - 2nd Class with Swords. He was the Battalion Sgt Cook and was detailed to the Battalion whilst waiting for discharge in August 1914 at the EYR Depot, Victoria Barracks Beverley East Yorkshire, he was posted there on the 19 July 1914.

Its fantastic finding out what he recieved the award for, I suspect its for the action on the 8/9th August 1915 as on the 15th the battalion was at Nabrinsi Point which was on the beach.

Regards Charles

The document states the action as the 15th at Suvla Bay. I am certainly no expert on these matters.

I can provide you a scan of this doc if you like.

Unfortunately I cannot reduce it further than 769 Kb (I scanned it with too much dpi and am struggling to retain definition when I try to scale it down, this has happened to a lot of stuff I scanned from Grandads war papers, photo's etc.). I can e-mail it to you if you would like a copy.

Jarvis,

That would be nice; if I can recipricate I will, I have a group Photo of the Sgts Mess with Arthur on prior to leaving UK. If I can help with any other information I will.

Regards charles

• 3 years later...

Charles,

I have found this thread on a search. I too am looking for info on 6EYR at Suvla bay and a Capt AJ Dingle KIA 22/8/15. He was notable rugby player, named Arthur but called 'Jimmy', as I have just discovered fron various Durham books at the RFU Museum.

If you have anything on the 6EYR - diary, accounts etc- or can point me to sources, most grateful. I note that he does not turn up on your website, but this does not mean you are not aware of him, maybe just that you have not had time to post. I know the problem!

Happy to provide the unedited blurb I have so far, or (when I write it) the chapter of a planned book.

In case you are not visiting GWF, I will PM this too

Hi,

There is an account of the attack on 'Scimitar Hill' 21st and 22nd August 1915 on the East Yorkshire Regiment Web site, I will have a look to see if I have anymore on the attack.

Regards Charles

Many thanks, I am guilty of asking questions before I had properly woken up. I spent some time on your site and found the account on your website. I also followed your link to the yorks history site and read the EYR History which sadly stops at 1914.

Better do some work now.

have a good day

• 1 year later...

Interesting thread for me as my gt gt uncle Albert John Brooks 15272 was KIA on the 9th August two days after landing. Just started researching him so a retrospective thanks for all the comments on this thread.

regards

K Brooks

www.brooksfamily.name

• 8 years later...

I am also researching a soldier from the 6th Yorkshire Regiment - John Thornton (sorry no service number). He was born in Stockton Co. Durham in 1895 the son of Peter and Mary Thornton. The Roll of Honour for Staindrop, Co. Durham says he served in the Dardanelles and reported missing after the landing at Suvla Bay on 21 August 1915. I can't find his military records or his grave. Can anyone help? 

Diane

• 4 weeks later...
On 24/11/2019 at 20:35, Staindropremembers said:

I am also researching a soldier from the 6th Yorkshire Regiment - John Thornton (sorry no service number). He was born in Stockton Co. Durham in 1895 the son of Peter and Mary Thornton. The Roll of Honour for Staindrop, Co. Durham says he served in the Dardanelles and reported missing after the landing at Suvla Bay on 21 August 1915. I can't find his military records or his grave. Can anyone help? 

Diane

I cannot find a John Thornton on the CWGC who fits the bill.  If he was missing on 21/08/1915, then he should be on Helles Memorial 'no known grave'.  The Battalion landed on 7th August and fought on 9th. Then again on 21st August and 50 men killed on that day. One man in Lala Baba Cemetery and 49 on Helles Memorial.  Either he did not die or CWGC have missed him. Cannot see an obvious fit for your info on Soldiers Effects Register or Soldiers Died in the Great War.

S

Edited by stevem49

• 1 month later...

Belated thanks for efforts to trace the whereabouts of John Thornton. I guess he will remain a mystery. Hate to think of him being lost with no grave. 
Diane

Rolls of Honour have been know to be incorrect. Likewise war memorials. Have you checked the Stockton and Staindrop war memorials to see if he is listed on either? 

Steve

Hi Steve

Thanks for your message. John Thornton is listed on the war memorial to the Fallen and the Roll of Honour book in Staindrop Church.

The Roll of Honour book gives his regiment as 6th Yorkshires but they have no record of him . I mainly wanted to find his Commonwealth War grave. 
will try the War Memorials of Stockton although his family were living in Staindrop at the time of his death.

Diane