Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

CWGC Cemetery Registers

Ken Wayman

Chatting to Teddy at the Ulster Tower Cafe last week, he mentioned the growing problem of theft of cemetery registers. Worst of all was the large-scale removal of registers from the Thiepval Memorial. Came across an example myself in Newfoundland Memorial Park - Hunter's Cemetery had no register but a note apologised that theft had led to no register being kept there.

Is this widespread?

What kind of person behaves in such a manner? Should I take off my rose-tinted specs?

Ken

Believe it's been going on for quite a number of years now and wouldn't surprise me if someone hasn't just about got a full run of them or they're making their way to Ebay. To be honest nothing surprises me these days, just look at the amount of dug up stuff you find at Militaria fairs, even Crimean and South African battlefields have been turned over.

Graham.

It does seem to be on the increase, very sad. Especially where if you want a complete register they are easily available. But there are also some strange goings on...earlier this year me and my wife while out for a walk came across the registers to Serre No1 in the ditch just before the French cemetery.

Mick

The theft of registers has been happening for years but in this day and age, with the CWGC records being online, I can't see any excuse for their continuing disappearance.

If it's a growing problem then I can't offer an explanation - souvenier hunters or folk that hope that they can make a quick buck on e-bay?

Believe it's been going on for quite a number of years now and wouldn't surprise me if someone hasn't just about got a full run of them or they're making their way to Ebay. To be honest nothing surprises me these days, just look at the amount of dug up stuff you find at Militaria fairs, even Crimean and South African battlefields have been turned over.

Graham.

Only compensation is that the genuine folk massively outnumber the sadly selfish ones! Makes you wonder who buys the stuff that's put on sale....

Regards

Ken

It does seem to be on the increase, very sad. Especially where if you want a complete register they are easily available. But there are also some strange goings on...earlier this year me and my wife while out for a walk came across the registers to Serre No1 in the ditch just before the French cemetery.

Mick

That's pretty unspeakable!

Hope you weren't walking along the main road, Mick. Nearly got wiped out last week by a pair of lorries when I tried to photograph the new memorial erected by the No Man's Land lads!

Regards

Ken

Only compensation is that the genuine folk massively outnumber the sadly selfish ones! Makes you wonder who buys the stuff that's put on sale....

Regards

Ken

Ermmmm....i do, but the registers I'm bidding for and just won come from a reliable source. Just got both the Ancre and Bazentin cemetery registers for 16 quid.

Mick

That's pretty unspeakable!

Hope you weren't walking along the main road, Mick. Nearly got wiped out last week by a pair of lorries when I tried to photograph the new memorial erected by the No Man's Land lads!

Regards

Ken

that really is in a dodgy site. It looks great but hope its stays in good nick with the lorries and winter mud etc. Actually cycling along there is even more exciting!

Mick

The registers being stolen are almost always the computer produced type and not the old original printed version often seen for sale on Ebay.

Mick,

Weren't all the surplus registers from CWGC bought up a few years ago by a WFA member and offered for sale at about £3.50 each? It was in one of our 'Stand-To' mag's if my memory is correct, perhaps there may be some left, rather than pay £16.00 for two.

Graham.

I accept I'm stupid and just love the old grey ones. And if there i are any of the old grey Somme registers still going for £3.50 I'd bite your hand off if i haven't got them.

Mick

I took over the stock of registers from CWGC when they were about to dump them in 2000 - that is the announcement I think you remember. I collected them all personally by van from Maidenhead!

My first post on Chris' old forum was about this rescue.

I have sold most over the years and very few are now left in my possession - apart from my personal complete set of about 1500 registers.

that really is in a dodgy site. It looks great but hope its stays in good nick with the lorries and winter mud etc. Actually cycling along there is even more exciting!

Mick

It wouldn't be so bad if the lorries didn't regularly shed beets or mangel wurzels! Anyone would think it was a battlefield!!

Ken

Ermmmm....i do, but the registers I'm bidding for and just won come from a reliable source. Just got both the Ancre and Bazentin cemetery registers for 16 quid.

Mick

Oops! Didn't mean to cast aspersions (or anything else for that matter!)

Ken

The registers being stolen are almost always the computer produced type and not the old original printed version often seen for sale on Ebay.

Yet it still sticks in the throat - or am I just being old-fashioned?

Ken

Didn't think you had casted an aspertion, by the way what do you do with a mangel wurzel, Ive never seen them on the vegetable shelves in M&S.

Mick

I was informed that some people have even been known to steal the actual cemetery signs themselves,and some of the Original Swords on Crosses of sacrifice have also been Taken..is this True do you think or maybe an Urban Myth ???.

Didn't think you had casted an aspertion, by the way what do you do with a mangel wurzel, Ive never seen them on the vegetable shelves in M&S.

Mick

Feed them to the livestock.... I think. By the way, where's the M & S in Auchonvillers?!!

Ken

The swords are often stolen in some countries for their scrap value.

CWGC often replaces these with a plastic type material.

I'm (almost) speechless. Morality can plumb some pretty murky depths!

Ken

:lol:

Feed them to the livestock.... I think. By the way, where's the M & S in Auchonvillers?!!

Ken

Turn left out of Avril's, pass Carphone warehouse, WH Smith and Oxfam, and if you get as far as Ratner's, you've gone too far!

Bruce

LOL

Ken

sometimes it feels that the back of the car and the kitchen is an annex of M&S.

You would have thought with the ease of access to CWGC would prevent it happening.

Mick

• 2 months later...

I've just found this thread, but are people stealing the books that visitors leave comments in, when they have vistited a particular cemetery or grave ?

Mick D