Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

J.O.Coop 55th Division

Chris_B

As a new PAL I thought it was time to give instead of just taking. Cannot offer much just yet, but I do have a Library copy of "The Story of the 55th Division" at the moment. This has been borrowed theough an inter-library loan and comes from "Birmingham University".

It is a well used original copy printed in 1919. The spine and binding is pretty delicate. I have just started it, but if I can help anyone with a reference let me know.

Ken,

Many thanks, even though it's quite a small book there's a lot to digest and remember in just 10 days. I go this before deciding to part with the well saved dosh for a reprint.

If you don't mind me asking, what's your interest in the 55th?

Chris.

Is the Book worth a buy, the reason i ask is that i have been considering buying it as i have struck up an interest with 55th coming across them under Snow of 7th corps at Cambrai and now have an interest in them as regards Jeudwine their commander from 1916-18.

Arm.

Arm,

Maybe I'm the wrong person to answer this as I've only just started reading the copy I borrowed.

The book is a relatively slim volume of 184 pages and is rather in the from of an outline.

There doesn't seem to be much in it about Major-General Sir Hugh Sandham Jeudwine, KCB. There is on profile photo of him, very distinguished figure.

Chapter IV covers Cambrai, Nov 20th and 30th 1917. The 55th division suffered badly in the German counter attack, with the 1/5th South Lancashire Battalion outflanked and running out of ammunition fighting to the last man - no man returned. Pages 65-84.

Interesting Appenddices re: Homours and rewards, first and loast op orders, work of R.E. and pioneers, battle casualties. At least ten maps and variuos other pics and diagrams.

Let me know if you want a contents list. Got to rest the fingers for now.

I too have a copy.

As Chris says, it is very much an outline. If you want to know where 55th and its compnent units where, and when, it is fine. There are indeed an interesting collection of appendices, giving casualty figures by battalion, VC citations, a couple of orders of the day, and a list of commanders of each battalion.

However, there is very little colour to the account. Coop provides little description and analysis, and the various lengthy quotations from Jeudwine and others are pretty formulaic.

I can't imagine having found much of interest in this volume if I were not so interested in the 1/5 South Lancs.

Arm,

what do you know about Jeudwine? I recall reading vague references elsewhere that he was cold, and aloof. ??

Cheers,

Ste

• 2 weeks later...
Ken,

If you don't mind me asking, what's your interest in the 55th?

Chris.

Chris,

My interest in the 55th Div stems from my current research into the 9th Battalion of the King's Liverpool Regiment. I am also interested in the 55th (West Lancs) Division because it is my local division.

Have you seen/heard the talk that Michael Orr gives on the 55th Div involvement in the March 1918 German Offensive? I saw it at a WFA meeting about 12 months ago. I believe he is writing a book on the subject.

Regards,

Ken

Have you seen/heard the talk that Michael Orr gives on the 55th Div involvement in the March 1918 German Offensive?

No I haven't - I don't belong to WFA. If you did'nt already know, Michael Orr is a member of the "Centre for First World War Studies" which is based at the University of Birmingham. The CIC himself, Chris Baker is also a member. The associated website is worth a look...

http://www.firstworldwar.bham.ac.uk/index.htm

Chris.