Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Dr. Sharpe Walcott

paul guthrie

A lady has a request in our US WFA magazine. He is her cousin, a surgeon graduate of McGill, Canadian. THinks he's bruied there but I do not see him in CWGC database. Any ideas? Have asked Paul Reed and now asking the rest of you. From memory it's probably mostly July 1 men and Canadians were not there but maybe it's a consolidation cemetery, can't remember. Thanks.

Paul, he is listed in CWGC records, but under the name Walcott.

Capt. F. S. Walcott, RAMC, att. 8th Bn Northumberland Fusiliers, died 26th September 1916.

In addition, "Officers Died....." lists him as Francis Sharpe Walcott and adds that he was killed in action.

He is indeed buried at Ovillers Military Cemetery, Plot 1, Row B, Grave 28.

Tom

The person who inquired about her cousin is Pat Hoad. She has asked for pictures of Ovillers Cemetery and I have advised her to post here, will see if she finds it and if so someone can email to her.

I have no idea how she knows but now she has told me he is buried next to Harry Lauder's son.

The person who inquired about her cousin is Pat Hoad. She has asked for pictures of Ovillers Cemetery and I have advised her to post here, will see if she finds it and if so someone can email to her.

I have no idea how she knows but now she has told me he is buried next to Harry Lauder's son.

I need to check when I get home, but I am sure I have got a piccie of Harry Lauders son's headstone, not sure what else it shows, I'll post later when I've had a look

Paul,

He was Capt. John Lauder, 1/8th Argyll and Sutherland Highlanders, Killed in Action 30:7:16.

He is buried in Ovillers British Cemetery as you thought, but in Plot 1, Row A, Grave 6. So, not quite next to Capt. Walcott, though only a few feet away.

Tom

Thanks so much Terry, you have been helpful! Would have said the same thing about Tom but the damn ingrate has still not accepted my generous offer of Bovril while I drink Newcastle Brown Ale! :angry: Therefore I withdraw the offer to him and make it to you! I am sure you will be much more appreciative! :D

Thanks Tom but why such an ingrate on the bovril? :P

Because I'm one of those people who can always thing of a rapier-sharp bit of repartee, but not until some days after the event.

I'm working on it. :ph34r:

Don't worry Paul, thanks, naturally I think of you when I think of Somme. Steve it would be nice to post the picture, Terry has a link to one on CWGC site but she would like to see all she can. Have invited her to US Branch WFA 2005 Somme trip so she could see for herself.

Since original post I have noted it's a consolidation cemetery but isn't it quite likely he was originally buried there since he is in Plot 1? That has been my experience.

I have been admonished on another thread. Being the ignorant foreigner I am I did not realize I insulted a manly man like Tom Morgan by offering him Bovril instead of Marmite! My apologies Tom. I reinstate the offer but change it accordingly. I, again being an ignorant foreigner unappreciative of the glories of Marmite, will still have the Newcastle Brown Ale instead.

I feel a better man having confessed my error!