Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Pro Embarkation Lists

Cynthia

If I remember correctly, there was a short discussion about the PRO Embarkation Lists on the old WFA Forum. I unfortunately did not keep that information, but seem to recall that someone said you can't always find the information on a particular soldier and when he embarked for France.

Has anyone used these lists (I think someone did, but I can't recall the results!) I would be most interested in finding out whether this is another good research tool or a dead end. I know the soldier I have been researching arrived in France on August 25, 1916 with the Queen's R.W.S.

Thanks for any insights.

Cynthia

Cynthia

Alas, the embarkation records under WO 25 at the PRO cover movements of troops and individuals by sea to everywhere except France. The War Diaries of the Base Commandants in France often provide details of the arrival of drafts, but only give officers by name.

Charles

Thanks, Charles. I did remember the general tone of the original thread was that the Embarkation Lists were not too useful, but having read it quickly, I could not remember why. I appreciate your answer and would guess Pte Stark and the other Queen's replacements went out from Folkestone to Boulogne on that day.

I appreciate your response.

Cynthia

Cynthia,

Whilst searching the PRO catalogue I came across WO 162/7 (Adjutant. General's files "Embarkation overseas: List of units with dates").

I have no idea what they contain but thought I would pass the reference on to you.

Good luck